Making a fiberglass mold

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone know how to use plastic to make as a mold to make a fiberglass part? Let me explain, I want to make new port and starboard consoles for my boat boat because the current ones are cheap plastic which is cracked in several places. I came across someone who did the same this to the exact boat as mine on another forum, but I'm not sure how to do it. Here is the original console.

aconsole.jpg

And here is their new console

aconsole2.jpg

Can anyone explain how to do this? My fiberglassing skills are limited, so if it is too much for a rookie, let me know

kandil

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Making a fiberglass mold

You can glass over the old one and use it as a mold.And finish it off with a coat of Gelcoat.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I plan on doing the same thing on my bowrider. It looks like a lot of sanding, but as for difficulty, I'm not seeing much in what I have seen. Do a search on youtube for 'custom fiberglass speaker box'. For the bass boom people, they are all the rage right now, and they are made exactly the same way you or I will be making our dashboards.

Youtube to the rescue.. again.

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

oh great idea, thanks!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

vandy....im building mine right now.......i have the pictures af the procedure.....

make the new shapes out of foam......then protect the foam from the resin......(put packing tape all over it).......then glass them......then fair them with whatever fairing compound you want.....and paint or gellcoat.

ill be posting the pics of the procedure.....but if you want a sneak peak.....just pm me and ill send you the pics.

but if you want to go the plug-mold- part way.....build the plug out of wood.....then make a mold bu fiberglassing over the plug......then fair the plug......then gellcoat it and glass it and pull the part....

i just finished pulling a part from my swim grid mold that i just made....i have those pics too......but that turned out to be a disaster cause of murphys law.

cheers
oops

vandy21

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks oops. I am not going to start the consoles quite yet, so I'll just wait until you post your pictures. Will it be on the hull extension thread?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Someone else did like Oops did, but instead of using packing tape on the foam, the painted the foam with latex paint. Sounds like it might be easier to do than putting tape on a complex shape.

If you use epoxy, you can put it right on the foam. Polyester resin will melt it.

willyrocket

Seaman

Here is a "general" process of making a mold back from my old rc airplane days(and when I told the old lady that my new hobby of boats and fishing would be cheaper!!!hahahaha). LOTS, I mean LOTS of work. If your only doing one part, I would find another way. The speaker box idea, may be better suited.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_201864/anchors_201864/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#201864

Just to give an idea, this just shows the making of the mold, not even how much time went into the plug. Your part will only look as good as your plug.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Thanks oops. I am not going to start the consoles quite yet, so I'll just wait until you post your pictures. Will it be on the hull extension thread?

yup.....