Avoid Mercruiser 165?

acex008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've read it's not a very good motor setup. Thoughts? Should I avoid a boat if it has this motor?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Avoid Mercruiser 165?

If it is the 4 cylinder 165, then yes - that's the general concensus.

If it is the straight six 165, then it is a great engine. Easy to work on and very dependable.

Both are referred to as a "165."

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I'm assuming that you are referring to the 470, or 3.7 liter, engine.

They are 'flamed' here...so you can anticipate a loud "RUN"!

I have this engine in one of my boats, and I loved it...until it overheated, just once. I am still debating as to fixing it, or selling it as a project boat.

My second boat has the Mercruiser 3.0...and I have to admit, that the 3.0 is of a simplier design, and virtually bulletproof. I equate the 3.0 to the automotive 350 engine...a 'ton' of them out there (running strong), and easy to work on, and find the parts for. I would suggest looking for your perfect boat, with the 3.0 installed!

acex008

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The boat is a 1987 4Winns Horiz. 190 and the ad states it's a merc 165, I won't know if it's the 4 or the 6 but I'm assuming the 4 banger. Going to look at it tonight... Seems a decent deal at $2,200 on a galvy trailer. Thanks for the feedback guys. Great forum!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

The boat is a 1987 4Winns Horiz. 190 and the ad states it's a merc 165,
That is EXACTLY the same boat that I have, so yes it is the 3.7 l 4cyl (470) that is pretty much despised here. I have replaced the water pump seals, and voltage regulator on mine and replaced the starter, and that is pretty much it. Other than that, it has been a fine little engine. One thing in defense of the 470, look through all of the "cracked block" horror stories here, and I'll bet that you will not find one 470 in there. Closed cooling with antifreeze in the block is a great idea, and it goes to show that ANY motor must be maintained properly or you will wind up with BIG$ trouble. BTW love that boat!:D

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have had a good experience with mine, this site is VERY against out of the box thinking.... I think the ones you find bashing it have never had one...
Its actually a pretty cool little motor, very high power output for the weight.

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class

i agree. great little engines till the weep holes do their job and nobody sees it...such a big hunk of aluminum dont like heat.another problem comes when the owner is told itsa closed cooling system,its not winterized,heat exchanger caps are pushed out,along with a bad solider joint all the af leaks out,first time out,runs hot.....tell aunt martha not to come for memorial day,,,,not that i would know

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Cannonford: You're sooooo... right! I check my oil, antifreeze level and for any sign of leakage (engine running) out of the weep hole of the water pump every time I go out in the boat, every time! I also keep an eagle eye on the temp. gauge. Have not forgotten to drain the exchanger yet, but there is still time.:eek:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

I don't think anyone on here "dogs" those that have the infamous 4 cyl, aluminum block "470" engine.

We DO however, suggest that, if you have a choice in obtaining one, that you DON'T! (do a search for the reasons..........there are many valid reasons.)

If you DO have a weak moment and you actually buy one....(GOD HELP YOU) there's a lot of people here, that will attempt to help you fix it and keep it running....

This is a very weak market for boats. The buyer has the advantage........ Look for a boat that has an engine and drive that is still made and supported well.....there's a lot of them out there!

Regards,

Rick

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class

well said Rick....btw,i gotta hookup on a coupla jarsa pickled manatee.....just tha good parts of course......

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

That is probably good advice Rick. I think the main thing is that if you are looking at a 20+ year old boat you need to have it checked out by a competent marine mechanic (outdrive & engine) before you buy it, even if it costs $100, in the long (maybe sort) run it will be worth it.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

That is probably good advice Rick. I think the main thing is that if you are looking at a 20+ year old boat you need to have it checked out by a competent marine mechanic (outdrive & engine) before you buy it, even if it costs $100, in the long (maybe sort) run it will be worth it.

Well in general you're right.

I'll add that since there's engine/drive systems out there that have been discontinued, there's a reason they discontinued them. Unless you know how to fix them yourself and you're proficient in scrounging parts, you should avoid them.

That doesn't mean that someone who knows what they're doing cannot make a 470 Merc, a 460 OMC King Cobra or even a Scott Atwater :eek: run good and reliable. It just means that you need to know what you're up against when you go that route!!

AND the "newbies" should probably stick with the stuff that's still available and well supported by their respective manufacturers.........

45Auto

Commander

As HT32BSX115 says, any engine/drive system out there can be reliable as long as it's diligently maintained. However, you'll find that old, out of production sytems require much more owner involvment (or owner cash ...) to keep them reliable.

Here's a synopsis of the 470:

http://www.sterndrives.com/470information/470coolantleakrepair.html

At least it'll give you some idea what to look out for.

TilliamWe

Banned

I have this engine in one of my boats, and I loved it...until it overheated, just once...

It's because if comments like this, and the others on here about checking the antifreeze, the weep hole, and staring at the temp gauge, Everytime they use the boat that I bash the 470.
I didn't have to do any of those things with my 5.7! Just turned the key, and used it, for 10 years and 800 hours! Oh, and the one time it overheated (wife was driving), I just let it cool down, as I was being towed through a lock, and changed the impeller in the water (that can be done on a Bravo), and drove the boat home, 70 miles. No worry for a second about a blown headgasket. And then I proceeded to put 400 more hours on the boat.