us marine shifter

timrod

Cadet
Hey guys is there any way the shifter could be reversed, for the throttle to pull instead of push .It had a omc cobra i have changed to mercruiser and the carb is pull!:confused:

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: us marine shifter

your saying you put a mercontrol in place of what should be a VP box?

havasuboatman

Ensign

Most shifters are capable of either push or pull for both shift and throttle. Some of them hae two sets of levers sticking out, (this would be the back side of the shift lever) Others, the cables attach inside the back cover. (attaching points are hidden)
You will have to remove the shift/throttle assembly from the side of the boat so that you can access the cables where they attach to the shifter and move the throttle cable ONLY. If you move them both, you will reverse your shifting. To find out which of the other attaching arms is the throttle, move the shift lever. the one that moves first is the shift arm. USE THE OTHER ONE.
To get the shifter assy off you have to remove the shift arm, the cover plate below that, then you will see the screws that hold the box to the rear of the side panel.

timrod

Cadet

This boat came with an omc cobra 3.0L ,i have re powered with a 3.0L mercruiser .My shifter/throttle cables are the same ! I changed the ends to mercruiser .the throttle cable that connects to carb pushes instead of pull ,that my engine requires .Therefore i was wondering if the ( shifter/throttle ) the one that is beside my steering wheel that makes me go front and back was reversible on the carb cable .Or do i need i buy a new one that is for mercruiser ?????

timrod

Cadet

HAVASU ----Thanks for the answer i was looking for ,I am glad you new exactly what i was wanting !!!!!!!

Last edited:

havasuboatman

Ensign

Just be careful opening that thing up. Once the back cover is off, With some shifters, things can fall out.

timrod

Cadet

Got it !!worked perfect ,i adjusted my cables and splashed for the first time of over a year restore . thanks:D