Battery hook-up help

Brewer45

Cadet
Hello All,

I?ve got a question about hooking up a battery on a 2008 Monterey 214 FS. Well, I?m a new owner as of last summer and I just took it out of hibernation last weekend, however I have a rather embarrassing problem. I had it winterized at the marina and they of course took the battery out. I was going to hook it back up and I noticed 5 battery wires instead of 2. The boat came with 1 battery and has a battery switch. There are 2 main Pos and Neg wires but there are also 3 smaller wires connected to these main wires. One is yellow, one is black, one is red; the two Main wires are Red (Pos) and Yellow (Neg).

I know, maybe a pretty dumb question, but I don?t want to fry anything when I hook up the battery.

Help very much appreciated!

Joseph10

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Battery hook-up help

I cannot tell what is what just from the description. Sometimes they are marked "neg" or "pos". Maybe check for a marking.

Otherwise, I would let someone who is familar with the boat harness hook this back up. Taking a risk of hooking it up backwards would not be worth it.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

Other things to think about.

Hook up the mains as you expect.

Leave the others "off" figure out what is not working, then you may be able to chase them back.

Also,

-not always reliable-- are there in-line fuses? normally - or supposed to be- positive.

- Sometimes the eye will not fit on the positive it if is a negative (larger positive.

- otherwise find someone who understands cars/boats/electronics and they should be able to help you figure it out. Then mark them... or add a distribution bar/bolt.

mont214FS

Cadet

I have a 2007 214FS and have it stored here at work. I just hooked mine up 3 days ago but I took a picture of it before I unhooked it (learned that the hard way). I will go check mine in a few minutes and let you know what wires go where. How do you like your Boat? Is this your first one or have you upgraded to this one?

Brewer45

Cadet

mont214FS,

Like it real well, thanks. Great boat for a great price and so far, very happy with ride and performance. This is an upgrade, my previous boat was a Sea Ray 185 Sport that we enjoyed but found we quickly ran out of room with friends on board.

I think I have it figured out; 3 of the wires go to the Neg post (the large yellow and the small black, and then the small yellow with the black cover...it was not red like I originally thought). Then, the large and the small red go to the Pos post.

I tested everything ? stereo, lights, bilge, blower, trim, everything was working.

Curious to hear/see how yours is hooked up.

Thanks all for your replies.