Another Gas Opinion Thread

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi everyone-

I have a 1956 Evinrude 7.5 Fleetwin. I bought the motor and tank at an estate sale a number of years ago. Both were brand new still in their original packaging. I replaced the coils, water pump impeller, and dual tube fuel line before using it. It runs like a champ.

Last year I didn't get to use it at all. In the tank sits about 1 1/2 gallons of non-alcohol stabilized fuel (6 gallon tank), the fuel is now 2 years old.

Last night I opened it up and smelled it. It smells a bit varnishy, but otherwise it still smells like gas. I poured some out into a glass jar- it looks good and clear (not cloudy or yellowed). I threw 2 ounces into a bonfire and it flashed right up. I think it's still pretty good.

My question is this: The gas is mixed with oil at a 24:1 ratio. I can't use it anywhere else, and I don't have a good method to dispose of it. I want to top off the tank with fresh and use it up this weekend. Should I risk it (given that the motor is pristine), or should I dump it and start from scratch?

Rick.

Captain
Re: Another Gas Opinion Thread

I would try to use it as is. If it is bad you will know soon enough but I'll bet it's O.K. I don't like the idea of mixing 4 1/2 gallons of fresh fuel with it because with a 7.5 it will take a long time to burn that much fuel. The lesson to learn here is mix your gas in smaller batches. I've got 10 liters at by friends cottage that is already a year old because they didn't use the motor at all last year. I'm going to do my best to use it up when I'm there in June. I'll be interested to see the replies you get. Especially one day after Earth Day. Rick.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

a gallon and a half isn't much to get rid of . pour it off and mix a little at a time with your lawnmower gas. the lawnmower will just smoke a little but be o.k.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

1? gallons in a 6 gallon tank is not a good way to store gasoline. Too much contact with air.

Empty it out, filter it and use it mixed with fresh. Or as suggested use it in your gardening machinery.

Don't throw anymore on the fire. Incredibly foolish thing to do IMHO and tells you absolutely nothing.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

An oldtimer once told me that if you have any question about the state/quality of mixed gas, don't use it in a 2-stroke engine as the fuel also does the lubrication and the damage potential is huge....not just carb gumming/fuel system fouling.
I don't honestly know if that is verifiable, but there has always seemed some true logic to that; so when I want to use up old gas that is not really suspect, I run it in small 4-stroke engines...like lawn mowers as suggested or similar.
I wouldn't run it in a treasure such as you have. ;)