need to get rid of my cobra ? on converting to an alpha

horizonlawn

Cadet
I'm looking to get rid of my cobra on my boat I lost the upper gears last year and i can't bring myself to spend the money on something that will probobly fail again, i'd like to go to an alpha and from what I've read so far the transom cutout is'nt a problem, but how far will i need to move my engine forward or back. I have a 5.7 and i don't have a ton of room to move either way. and are there any other big issues, can i use my trim pump, can i use my steering cable or steering assymbly? any help would be great before i dive into this project at the begining of the season

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: need to get rid of my cobra ? on converting to an alpha

You will have to change the entire transom assembly. The steering cable is interchangeable. I don't think the trim pump is though. I changed out everythin on mine. The only thing that stayed was the steering cable. Even your throttle cables and remote will have to be changed.

WellcraftEliteXL222Restoration006.jpg

WellcraftEliteXL222Restoration126.jpg

WellcraftEliteXL222Restoration130.jpg

DSCF0010-1.jpg

WellcraftEliteXL222Restoration183.jpg

It isn't a real big deal once you start. Just have to have the patience and will power to see it through.

havasuboatman

Ensign

Don't forget the flywheel cover (bell housing) Gotta use a Merc. to mate the rear motor mounts to the new transom assembly.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

To "fail again" would require some sort of problem with the setup. Cobra drives are reliable as long as they are maintained properly, like any outdrive. They fail very often when the shift cable is not adjusted properly, lube is not checked or kept topped off, etc. Merc drives will fail for similar reasons.

Having your current drive repaired is much less expensive than changing to a Mercruiser setup. That's a $2500+ investment.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

depending what part of the country you are in I have a complete cobra drive for a 5.7 sitting in my garage and as I no longer own a boat with a omc I have no real need for it to be taking up space.

horizonlawn

Cadet

what do you need to get for it? I found a donor boat with a mercruiser in it engine and all for $900 I havent been able to come close to that fixing my cobra

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Believe me, getting rid of the Cobra will be the best thing you ever do for your boat!

I pulled a 460 King Cobra out and installed a 454 Bravo III.
I recovered about $3000 selling all the OMC "stuff"....... I just shipped the drive away a couple of weeks ago.

You'll need to probably relocate the engine mount holes slightly. Other than that remove everything..... including the electrical harness... You'll also need new throttle/shift cables and trim pump....although I'll bet the OMC trim pump would work.....

buy a donor boat and swap it all!

Cheers,

Rick

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

The other option, although costly is to do the Volvo SX conversion, where you replace the pivot housing to the later style so the SX drive can be used, an engine mounted impeller has to be added, but this is much less work than pulling everything out to change it all to a Merc. Downside is the Volvo is a lot more expensive than a Merc Alpha, more in the range of a Bravo. It depends on your situation....if the engine and transom assembly are in good shape....and you don't have the ability to pull out the whole power package...and you have a Volvo shop who can help out if you have trouble....not a bad option....but if the engine is shot...or the transom assembly is corroded....then the Merc swap starts to make more sense.
Here is a pic of the SX drive on the Cobra transom shield, Volvo made a kit to do this---

And the only reason the upper gears in a Cobra would 'fail again' is if the drive was shimmed wrong or someone changed the gear oil and did not do it the right way....the one in my boat is 21 years old, it has needed a few seals and a bearing retainer replaced....but other than that it runs very quiet and shifts fine...and, it's been in salt water 6 months at a time....for at least 8 seasons....I don't consider that unreliable...but I can see people wanting to get something that's easier to get fixed for sure.
BTW I heard that SEI engineering (maker of aftermarket Mercs) is going to come out with a 'solution' for the OMC Cobra drives this summer....what it sounds like is they are maybe going to build a custom pivot housing so an Alpha can be used on a Cobra transom shield...they are already selling the OMC outboard lower unit which is very similar, almost identical to the Cobra lower uint.....I'd like to see this but wouldn't want to be the first one who tries it....interesting idea though.

Attachments

• cobra_sx_pic.jpg
    cobra_sx_pic.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 0

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

BTW I heard that SEI engineering (maker of aftermarket Mercs) is going to come out with a 'solution' for the OMC Cobra drives this summer....what it sounds like is they are maybe going to build a custom pivot housing so an Alpha can be used on a Cobra transom shield

That would sure solve a lot of "problems" out there wouldn't it?

fyrfightr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have see the SEI prototype for the Cobra conversion. It is really quite simple. The production model is in test now.

skippy867

Seaman Apprentice

depending what part of the country you are in I have a complete cobra drive for a 5.7 sitting in my garage and as I no longer own a boat with a omc I have no real need for it to be taking up space.

i am intersted in your cobra drive, what year is it off of and would you ship it?

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i am intersted in your cobra drive, what year is it off of and would you ship it?
sorry thats why I said depending on where you are I don't feel like crating it up but the first $500 can have it. if they pick it up

horizonlawn

Cadet

well I bought the donor boat just got done ripping everything out, now I need to start putting it back together. I thought i would have a problem getting rid of a boat with basically nothing in it, but i put it up on craigs list and had over 100 people respond, i guess everyone wants something for free. I want to sell the mercruiser 305 that i got with the boat any ideas what its worth running?

Cptkid570

Ensign

Good job going the donor boat route! If you don't already know a lot about Mercruiser, you will know a lot more about them after you are done with your conversion...that will make future repairs easier and cheaper for you!