need help on 1994 150hp black max motor

babyboy09

Recruit
anyone can you please help me on this 1994---- 150hp black max motor that i bought to put on my 18ft open bow boat, i take it to the shop to make a service guy replace the old 125hp merc with this new one and he take off all old cable and horness and put on a new one that can work on the 1994 black max motor , but now he's tell me that the motor is good and everything but the only problem that i have is when he start the motor up and put it in gear forward the prop turn reverse and when he put the motor in reverse the prop turn forward so can please please help me out on this cause this is the first time i hear something like this so i help on this topic so i can tell the service guy wat's his problem so he cant charge me anymore money for the job thanks

crazyclam

Cadet
Re: need help on 1994 150hp black max motor

I just talked to my local boat shop guy and he told me a story about a similar problem.....I believe certain years there was a linkage that when installed would do this...cause the gear shift pattern was reversed...Its like near impossible to reverse the gears inside the engine to allow it to do that...so its is 100% on the installation or what he thought was the right controls are for a diff. engine.....possibly a johnson, etc...

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

The mechanic has the shift cable travel reversed in the control box.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK this mechanic worries me. Depending on the year of the old motor, the electric connections are probably not be compatable with the '94. The control cables and control box is compatable, however, and should work fine.

if the motor is shifting the opposite of what is should either the shift control is connected to the throttle and the throttle cable is connected to the shifter, or the lower unit was installed wrong.

The mechanic should know this.

babyboy09

Recruit

Hi Chris the old motor was a 1977 merc 125hp, but i replace the the control box and i buy a new one that he recomended to me that will work with the 1994 blackmax motor . so the only thing is what you are saying is that he connected the throttle cable and the shifter connected wrong ,because the person who i got the motor from i spoke to him and he told me that he did not done any repair on the lower unit he told me that the motor was working fine on his boat and it was going forward not reverse lol thanks chris1956 for input.

babyboy09

Recruit

Hi Crazycalm thanks you for your info on this matter i will have to go let him know what he's doing wrong and ask him to check on wat he's doning so that he can make it right cause i'am not in the boating to pay money stupid on his mistake so i will go to his shop today

cannonford57

Petty Officer 1st Class

just askin,did merc make a 125 in 77?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I am not positive, but I do not think Merc made a 125HP in 1977. They did make a 115HP and a 150HP motor in 1977.

Boy09, I used my MerControl from my '77 merc 150HP motor on my '93 merc 135V6, so I know the control cables will work. The electrical harness from the V6 needed to be grafted to the harness from '77, but it worked OK.

babyboy09

Recruit

Thanks to everyone that reply to my question so that i can get the problem solve , you guys know what you are saying i tip my hat off to you all again thanks .