water pump problem

delee

Recruit
Got a used 1983 Force 85 H.P., put in a new water pump kit ( yes, using instructions as found in this forum), now water pumping. Pulled lower unit, cleaned out pipe going from lower unit to thermostat housing= was full of sand and mud, ran water both drections through coolant pipe. Still no water pumping. Am testing using a tank that covers lower unit up to exhaust. Pulled lower unit again, checked everything- impeller plaement, key on impeller, etc. Damaged the gasket under the stainless plate, so siliconed into place. Still no water getting to thermostat housing. Could the problem be the connection fromthe pump to the pipe carrying the water to the thermostat housing? Some of the pics of the water pumps in the parts catalog show a plastic or nylon adapter between the pipe and the pump. I do not have this. Any other ideas? I can run water from the thermostat down through the pump and out the intakes, but the volume seems to be low.

CapCramer

Seaman Apprentice
Re: water pump problem

On my later model 70hp there is a plastic/rubber sleeve that connects the top of the water pump housing to the pipe that runs up to the powerhead. The sleeve has one end tapered so as to self center to ease the install as you are pushing the LU up. Hope this helps.

chitownborn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: water pump problem

if you got sand & mud out of the water tube you might have sand & mud clogging your cooling channels in the exhaust plate or the head. I had the same problem with mine, they were packed , try hooking up a garden hose to the water tube and see if a good soaking will free up the obstruction, if not then you might have to pull them to clear them out, hope this helps Don