Steering issues and prop???

lillbush

Seaman
I have a 1986 Bayliner capri with a 305 and a volvo 275 outdrive. I took it out for the first time today and lets just say wasnt as good as I had hoped. In neutral the motor will rev all the way to 5-6 k RPM put it in gear at wide open and im lucky to get 1500 out of it. Now I know the old prop is bend and cracked and chunks missing but UPS didnt show up in time with my new one so I said WTF I will see if everything else works. so I think the bogging is the prop?

2nd the steering is CRAZY. It is the rack and pinion and if I am going and let go of the wheel it just goes straight left. Its hard to keep it going straight and a low speed. Also the lower unit I have about a inch to a inch and a half of play in it if I push it with my hands. Is that normal? Are there bushing that need replaced? I am new to all of this and need some help.

Thanks guys
Matt

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Steering issues and prop???

i'm not hip to vp. but i'd think at the least. wait till your new prop arrives and then see what it does. your description of the prop you used sounds like it is in real bad shape..
also, it's not to good for any engine to be revved up to 5-6k no load. not to mention. it proves nothing that it'll do that.. it's just hard on your engine is all.

don't know if vp have a trim tab like mercruisers do. i'll suspect they do. it's a little fin on the underside of the ventilation plate at the rear, on the under side of the plate. usually they're adj. port to starboard, visa versa. orient the tab the direction the steering is easiest to counteract the steering pull. yours sounds to sever to be overcome by this though, something else might be up. like your prop... that's where i'd start at...