Question about water coooling/discharge

Shadow662

Seaman
I recently bought a 1978 75HP Evinrude for $100 bucks. Person said it didn't run. I cleaned out the mice nests and cleaned the gunk out of the carbs and luckily she fired right up. Runs like a champ. However I'm not sure if the water pump is working correctly. I don't know where the water discharge is at on an Evinrude. I've only owned Mercury's and they come out of the pee hole on the top. So my question is with my muffs hooked up where does the discharge water come out on an Evinrude?

etex driller

Cadet
Re: Question about water coooling/discharge

Not positive on your year model but I think it only spits it out two exhaust holes on back in mid section I know my 86 model also has pee hole

Shadow662

Seaman

Posted wrong year its a 1976. Yeah I looked all over for a pee hole but there isn't one. When I hook up my muffs and run the engine water does come out of the 2 exhaust ports. It didn't seem like alot of water coming out, so I took the lower end unit of to check the water pump/impeller. Impeller looks as if it was just replaced. Want to put back together and try again but tore the gasket.

How much water should be coming from the 2 ports. A steady stream or less then that?

etex driller

Cadet

Its not a steady stream at all it spits it out but its more than it looks like coming out.There is a way to make it have a pee hole I'm not sure exactly what the procedure is but I know there are some guys here that can walk you thru that process so you can look back and know that pump is working without a doubt.