Penn International 30, Penn Slammer Rod For New Jersey

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I live in Arizona right now,moving to Pennsylvania in the next couple of weeks.I bought this set up a couple of years ago,For an Albacore tuna trip in San Diego.What was this thing made for?When catching 35 lb albacore on a 3 day trip,it pulled them in like bluegills,lol.I have it full of 40 lb. Ande clear mono,What is it good for on the East coast?Or should I just sell it,being I am going back East?Let me know what you think of the set-up.Thanks Bruce

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: Penn International 30, Penn Slammer Rod For New Jersey

YAH, that there is a BIG reel, I bet it was cranking in the albies left and right. I have my International 30 2-speed filled with 100# spectra and a 60# topshot for 100#+ fish, haven't broken it in yet though :(

Probably make a nice SW trolling reel if your going out on a private boat.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Shark fishing!

BTW..What boat did you go on? Out of Fisherman's Landing or Point Loma?

Used to fish San Diego once a month, 2xs during tuna season..Miss it badly

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

The boat that I went out on a few times was El Capitan out of Point Lomas.Best trip was 83 albacore,2 yellow tails.and 4 sharks,nothing big,and a few giant squid.I have so many big fish rigs,they are all very beautifull,hate to get rid of them.I guess that I will be a shark fisherman now.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

You will probably never use it on the east coast. Let me know before you have your yard sale.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

why would he never use it on this coast? we use Intl 30's and 50's alot, great reels, believe it or not we actually have large fish here too.

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have International 30,International 50,Penn 6/0 Senator,Penn 4/0 Custom senator,shimano TLD 25,Jigmaster 500,and rods for all,20 -50 lbers.mstly Ugly Stik Wite Tigers,with a couple custom 7 footers all Aftco rollered.Except my 2 Penn Slammers.What should I get for over there?for flounder and stripers?That is what I want to know.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

why would he never use it on this coast? we use Intl 30's and 50's alot, great reels, believe it or not we actually have large fish here too.

Ya, 30's are for kids. Use 50's mostly. Last years Ocean City Maryland Tournament was won with a #935 lb Blue Marlin.

crabby-blue-fin-tuna-fish.JPG

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

that's a funny looking blue marlin.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

Nice looking fish but it's pectoral fins are to short by about half in order to taste good.

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 50 with 80 lb braid would bring that baby in with no prble,lol.Even though I never caught anything big with it.I bet it taste good,I hope that you ate the big blue Marlin,lol.

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

BTW,the Japanese would pay a pretty penny for that one.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

BTW,the Japanese would pay a pretty penny for that one.

The commercial tuna boats off Nova Scottia radio in to the fish "brokers" that have offices and buyers at the dock...They post the size of the tuna, usually bluefins that make that one up there look like a 50 lber and then the bidding wars begin..The fish is sold to the highest bidder before the boat hits it's slip.
It's immediatley packed in ice & crated and on a plane for Japan and is on a sushi roll 12 hours later..

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

It aint a blue marlin & it sure aint 935 lbs either...Besides that pic is from 2004, BTW

http://www.mssafrederick.com/fish-photos.html

Very good observation.......but who ever said it was a picture of a Blue Marlin?

That Tuna was caught by a couple of my friends from the club a few years back. If you look around on that website you'll also find a couple of pictures with my ugly mug in them as well. :):)

Here is the link to the Big Blue caught at the WMO last year.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/934901/massive_9355pound_blue_marlin_tops.html?cat=14

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Didn't mean to come off harsh...(not really my style..lol)
Maybe a comment about the pic would have helped..
Like "Here's me and my buds with our 245lb Tuna we took at the Tourney"

You made the comment about the last year winner with a big Blue Marlin, then the pic....

If I had that monster tunny, I'd still be bragging about it...

tight lines!

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will keep all my big rods.I will just have to get a bigger boat.To go out farther.Thanks guys,you made me keep all the rods that I love,lol.Tell my wife that,better you then me.She thought that I would not be fishing as much.

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Except for one.lol.But now 3 more for my flounders,I hope.