Couple problems

hang3xc

Recruit
Hi,

A couple things,

First, I don't know what the year of my motor is. It's a 90hp serial A174777 (on the metal silver tag that is on the mounting bracket, right side) I might need to know the year to buy the repair manual (?) The Mercury Outboard Identification Chart I found online only goes to 1986 for 90 hp, but a repair manual I borrowed says 1965-1989 (Seloc 1408)

Second, my motor ran PERFECT last summer. I'd push in on the key to activate the enricher and turn the key for a couple revolutions, then the engine would start and I'd let go of the key. I'd increase the rpm's a little & let it warm up for a minute. Then away I'd go, reverse off the trailer & forward to wherever. It ran like a dream.

Then one day, for no apparent reason, I started it but when I let go of the key, which deactivates the enricher, it stalled. I started it and it stalled a few more times. I was bummed out. I found that if I pushed in on the key and activated the enricher when the engine sputtered, it would rev up, then I'd let go because it would stall if I held it in. I would do this for a couple minutes until the engine warmed up, at which point it would again be perfect the entire day. I could fish a spot for an hour or two or three and start it up to move without any trouble at all. If I stayed on the water for 15 hours, sometimes driving for long periods sometimes fishing for long periods, every time I started it,(without even using the enricher) it started instantly, idled perfectly, & ran perfectly at all speeds.

So, the first start of the day became a pain in the butt every time I went out, and was a little embarrassing, but the rest of the day was perfect. I'd like to fix whatever this problem is, but I don't have a clue. I'm stumped because the engine runs SO perfect all day long, can sit for hours and start instantly and run perfect some more, it's just the very first start of the day.

I thought I'd check the fuel filters to see if they were clean. (I also have a filter/water separator that is mounted to the boat near the engine) I looked at pics of carbs and they all show the filter above the float assembly. A bolt holds the cover down. Take off the bolt, lift off the cover and the filter should be there, without even having to remove the screws that hold the float assembly together. Mine has no bolt and no filter. There are 2 screws that hold the float assembly cover on, an inlet for the gas, and that's it. I think the number I found on the carb was 395-5677 (not sure about the 9, it might have been a six, but I don't think so)

PS. Stupid question, does the motor charge the battery when it's running

Thanks for any help you can give

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Couple problems

It sounds like your enrichener is getting clogged, or the carbs are getting clogged. Go on Maxrules.com and see if you can get a better idea of the year. Their charts show newer motors.

Seloc and Clymer manuals are lousy. if you know what you are doing and just need some details on your particular motor, the Clymer is OK. If you are a beginner, an OEM manual is tops.

Most every motor that is electic start has some charging capability.

hang3xc

Recruit

I checked the enricjer lines and the solenoid and it was all ok. I took off the carbs and ran carb cleaner through the passages, cleaned out the float bowls. They had a little bit of sediment in them, mostly the bottom one (gravity?) Put together and it started right up and sounded normal after a quick battery charge. Did not stall, idled perfectly. Should be good! (?) THAT's a relief!

I didn't see a tell tale stream of water though, maybe it's because I only ran it for about 5-10 seconds before shutting it off. I had muffs on it. I also couldn't see the exhaust at prop from where I was standing (at the ignition switch) to see if it was spraying out there. Hopefully the tell tale has a little tiny blockage. Maybe run a tiny torch tip cleaner into it? Maybe just warm it up for a minute iin the local pond then if it's good after a couple minutes, I could take it for a little ride and see if it clears itself out

The steering is hopefully the only thing that still needs to be fixed. It's stuck in the engine hinge/mount. I banged it out so that it's now completely inside the mount tube. Would need a drift pin to go further. When I started, it stuck out past the engine hinge/mount about 10 inches.

I thought once I moved it even just a little, it would free up and be normal. I thought it was frozen and once I broke it free, it would return right to normal. I did NOT think I'd have to take it all the way out. I really don't know if I could get the whole thing completely out without lifting the engine. I have a come-along but no tripod and I don't want to make one. There has to be an easier way.

The steering wheel turns, and the teleflex moves. Once I removed the nut on the starboard side of engine hinge/mount that holds the teleflex in place, it slides back and forth when you turn the wheel, just not the part stuck in the engine hinge/mount, that stays stuck.

Still pretty happy the engine seems good. Hopefully there's nothing wrong with the water pump or passages, I do use it in salt, but I flush it when I get home, and every few trips I run it up to a pond for a bit. And maybe the steering cable won't be too too tough

I'd really like to have a temp gauge. My engine didn't come with one. Can it be done anyway?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Most of the cooling water will exit above the antiventilation plate where the grates are. The telltake cloggs easily. Some water and exhaust out the ports and holes high on the midsection.

That motor does not have a thermostat. It's temp will be all over the place. A temp gauge is not a good choice. Get a water pressure gauge. You will need to tee it into the telltale, and see about 10 or so PSI at cruising speed.