63 Evinrude 40hp wiring trouble

broadslab

Recruit
I have a 1963 Evinrude 40hp remote motor that the wiring harness is missing from. Can anyone tell me how the wires connect to the controls?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 63 Evinrude 40hp wiring trouble

The wiring on that motor probably didn't connect to the controls. They usually had dashboard mounted ign keyswitches and hot lights. The neutral safety switch is on the motor.

You need to see if you have a starter solenoid mounted on the motor. Normally they were in the external starting box, along with the voltage requlator.

That motor had wires runing to the dashboard for starter solenoid, grounding the ignition, electric choke solenoid (Big twins usually not equipped with this) and overheat light. You also need wires for +12VDC and ground. You can rig up an ignition system with a toggle switch (DPDT) and a pushbutton, plus a overheat light.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Or are you talking about an electric shift motor? Helps to know what we are discussing here.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

We had a 63 Evinrude Lark 40...when i was a kid.
I can remember the general pattern of the wiring if that is any help.
There was a rubber sheathed wiring harness that connected a terminal box, that we mounted on the transom, to the motor... with the two biggest conductors going directly to the battery.
A great big plug connected the cable to the motor.
From the terminal box, wires ran to the front of the boat for ignition, gauges etc. this wiring was "owner supplied".

Our motor did not have a neutral safety switch or electric shift. The controls were the old "twin stick" type. Longer lever for throttle, smaller to shift.

On the starboard side of the motor, just ahead of the gear shift, is where the wiring harness connects.

That's all I can contribute. Not sure if an 8 year old kid's memories are any help....:)