My OB doesn't have a trim angle pin

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
Title says it all.

I asked the Yamaha mechanic who installed it about it, and he said this OB didn't come with one, since it was unecessary ?!?!?!

I've seen ALL OBs have them.

The OB is a Yamaha F75 4 stroke.

I was thinking about getting one, since I consider it to be extremely important to adjust your boat's performance.

What's your opinion?

Cheers!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: My OB doesn't have a trim angle pin

Ayuh,... I gotta Assume it has Tilt,+ Trim,..??

If So,... The Pin will get in the way of normal operations...

Moody Blue

Captain

I agree that you don't need one only IF you have power trim available. Otherwise your motor should have one. How else would you be able to adjust how the boat runs in the water?

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes it has trim & tilt.

The thing is, of the 4 boats owned by the family, 3 of them had T & T and also a trim angle pin:rolleyes:

Okey dokey, so I don't need one.

Then, everytime I hit the water, I have to adjust the trim? With a trim angle pin, you just set it, and everytime you drove, just trim down until stopping at the pin.

Excuse my ignorance:)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Every time you hit the water you very likely have a different number of people in the boat or a different load and different water conditions which requires different trim settings. If you are not using the trim feature you are not operating the boat efficiently. You take off trimmed down and when on plane adjust the trim for the best seat of the pants ride.

gss036

Commander

The Yamaha trim pins are really a piece of junk, I have lost 2 of them in the past 2 months, while I have my T9.9 tilted up for running. I get back into the harbor and the pins have fallen out. I now have a bolt and jam nuts to hold it in place.
Having said that, I totally agree that if you have power trim and tilt you do not need a tilt pin.

reelfishin

Captain

Keep in mind too that there were some older Johnnyrudes with only power tilt, not power trim, those still use the tilt pin as a stop in the full down position.

If you have full tilt and trim, there should be no pin. In fact, the hydraulics may even bend a pin if installed.

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for your comments guys.

I thought the mechanic was trying to fool me:rolleyes:

Very true about the tilt only without trim. Johnnyrudes stands for Johnson/Evinrude right?

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yes it has trim & tilt.

The thing is, of the 4 boats owned by the family, 3 of them had T & T and also a trim angle pin:rolleyes:

Okey dokey, so I don't need one.

Then, everytime I hit the water, I have to adjust the trim? With a trim angle pin, you just set it, and everytime you drove, just trim down until stopping at the pin.

Excuse my ignorance:)

I usually trim my motors all the way down, get out of the hole and up on plane and then trim up to find that sweet spot. I would think if your trim is down all the way, the bow is nosed into the water causing the boat to porpoise through the water.