Mercruiser Alpha 1 Trim Problem

SteuryLover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just picked up a 94 Bayliner 2050 and am having issues with the trim. When I got the boat it was in the up position. When we got home we lowered it no problem, when going to raise it, it would only go up for approx 20% of the way then stop. I can go back down all the way them back up to about 20%. Any ideas here? Fully charged battery. This is my first outdrive so any info is useful. Thanks for everyone's time.

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercruiser Alpha 1 Trim Problem

Look for a switch called "tilt" then it will go up the rest of the way.

Check your trim fluid level and make sure your tilt switch is the one you are using!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... The Trim is working,... You've gotta find the Trailer button...

SteuryLover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And Bond-o gets the prize. Trailer button brings it right up no problem. Sounds like I may need a new limit sensor. Thanks for the help.

Bondo

Staff member

Sounds like I may need a new limit sensor.

Huh,..?? What,..??
when going to raise it, it would only go up for approx 20% of the way then stop. I can go back down all the way them back up to about 20%.

That's the Limit Switch Working....

SteuryLover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Isn't the limit switch only suppose to work while the engine is running? I was told I should be able to lift it all the way up using the trim switch if the boat was off. Is that bad info? Thanks for the help.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

"Trim limit" What the name implies. It limits the amount of travel, "trailer" goes all the way. It works with or without the engine running.

SteuryLover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great, so everything is fine. I just got it so was not aware of the details. Thanks for the help.

richc007

Cadet

My 1988 searay Seville does exactly the same thing. I could swear last year when trailering it i used the trim buttom to raise it all the way as well. This is also my first outboard and also my first boat. Thats why we have all these great people who are seasoned to help us newbies our. i know this, I do appreciate any and all advice I read in here..

Thanks guys...;)