wisco rings?

Tim Wagner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, I give up.
Who sells just Wiseco rings for my Wiseco Pistons?
Or is it just peachy fine to re-use your good pistons as is??
I got the whole thing apart, I figure it be best to just replace them.
And I would, I just cant find anyone who sells them.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: wisco rings?

You can go directly to the Wiseco piston WEB site.

http://www.wiseco.com/ProductSearch.aspx

Use the menu to select the Model year etc. Don't select the "Piston Kits" tab. Select "Single Pistons" tab. Select the piston size you need. It will then bring up individual components for that piston. Rings, wrist pin bearings etc. When you select an individual item, you can add it to your cart and order on-line.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If there is nothing wrong with the cylinders or rings, just re-use them. But if there is nothing wrong, why did you disassemble the engine?

Tim Wagner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply.
Also, forgive me. I should explain what Im up to.
I tore down the motor because:
About 5 years ago, I had an overheat and it damaged my pistons.
I just honed out the scratches, put in new pistons and after some carb tweeking and and tuning, it ran fine.
On a trip to Canada last year, I guess I had the top carb go lean and it roasted the piston. I limped into the dock (last day of the trip too) on my kicker.
Now that piston needed replaced. Check my posts, theres a picture of the piston on here.
One of you guys explained what happened. ("classic case" I believe was the phrase used) I followed the suggestion with adding an inline filter after the fuel pump and before the three carbs.
Anyway, I knew ultimately what needed done but I didnt do it and just honed out the gouges and tossed in another piston (0.010 over).
It didnt even last the tank of double oil gas.
Now the inevitable has arrived
So, I tore down the motor with the intent of boring/sleeving or whatever.
Im looking at probably 300+ bucks for the bore job. Then another 300+ for 3 new pistons, then a gasket set .. yadda, yadda, yadda.
THEN, I found a healthy block that all my stuff will fit on that I paid half of nothing for.
All i gotta do is get 1 new standard piston, replace the rings on my existing standard pistons, get a gasket set, some black RTV , anti sieze, some beers, tunes, then hone out the glaze in the bores and start reassembling!!
Everything is apart, all the bolts and such are individually bagged and tagged.
I see a savings of about 500 bucks so far.
I live pay to pay, Im sure someone can relate to this.
My labor is free to myself and I already bought a torque wrench (which I always was looking for and excuse to buy)
I have good lighting, I bit of a photo history and a nice manual to reference.
Should be a nice little adventure.
I spend a couple nights slapping it all together and Ill be zooming on the river in no time!!

Thats my plan, anyway.
I cant see what could hold me up cause its all apart.
However, Murphy's law seems to weigh very heavy on a well laid plans!

Over an out.
Thanks a lot everyone.
If you guys were here, Id buy you a beer.
Tim

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Good luck on your "project"!

One additional note. Once you get the part number for the ring set from the Wiseco WEB site, you can also Google it. You'll probably be able to save five to eight dollars per set from other WEB sites depending on shipping charges.

Also, don't forget to double the amount of oil in the gas during the break in period.