1999 johnson running problem

captianhooked

Recruit
i have a 99 johnson 150 oceanpro,i was having trouble getting it to go into gear without stalling,i noticed no smoke coming from exhaust and was told to put oil in fuel,after a couple of rough starts it ran for alittle while but then stalled. i rechecked pugs and set to 0.30 is this the correct seting and if so what could it be? im baffled!!! also iran it the other day and it only went to 4500 rpms.

gsyfishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1999 johnson running problem

sounds like a fuel starvation issue, check all hose fittings to be sure they are good, also check to make sure the fuel vent is not restricted. This you can check by opening the fuel cap and trying to start, if it runs then you know the vent is plugged.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check your compression and spark on all cylinders. if good, fuel starvation, when were your carbs last cleaned and rebuild kit used?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

That is an excellent engine. if the compression checks out, buy a OMC service manual and check the four trouble sensors for proper operation. You have an alarm for a fuel restriction, overheat, low oil and no oil.

manual wil also guide you thru test of OMS oil pump and cleaning of carbs.