Flat bottom vs. Mod-V etc

Alumahollic

Cadet
I've got a 17 foot welded aluminum boat (center console) with 70hp Yamaha that I acquired a while back for a great price. I love the boat for its all around capabilities. I bass fish, inshore fish (south louisiana), and duck hunt out of the boat and its a happy medium for all of the above. However, it is a true flat bottom (square bow) and is crazy bumpy in rough water. I mean it really rattles your bones in a chop. Also, I'm worried about the fact that its a square bow that it might be somewhat dangerous in places like Venice, LA where one often has to cross large boat wakes.

I'm wondering if it would make that much difference if I were to try and upgrade to a mod-V style boat that is the same layout/size? I need to stick with aluminum hull either way. I would probably have to throw in at least a thousand dollars in addition to selling mine to get a comparable boat with a Mod-V, Semi-V or whatever.

On the other hand, if a mod-V, semi-V type hull isn't going to significantly change the boats ride, I'll probably repaint the boat and keep it for a long time.

Thanks,

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Flat bottom vs. Mod-V etc

there should be a significant difference!!!!!!!!!!!

you can get a mod V with up to 12 or 15 degree dead rise and you can cut waves nicely with that.( maybe not like a DEEP V, but you can still go shallow)

I bought a mod V with a 12 degree hull to try and balance going shallow and staying stable, and fighting a constant 3-4 foot roller day!!!

if you dont have to get back in the 3" shallows..I mean REALLY HAVE to...then you will welcome the mod V...

you can get a 3 degree or a 6 degree hull, they are very common...as well as 10, 12 and 15 degree hulls..

the steeper you go the better you fight off the pounding chop and the lesser you can get back into those shallows .

If you hunt you like the flat bottom for getting you right next to land almost any place...you will loose a little of that with a Mod V and any kind of hull dead rise.

I havent got a motor on my big 20 foot mod V yet..but I put 250lbs and me back at the transom and she drafted only 8-9" right there at the transom..

and that rig has a 12 degree hull...

good luck

bob

Alumahollic

Cadet

Bob, thanks for the response. I guess the boats I'm thinking of are very small degree V, if any at all. Maybe my eyes deceive me, but are there some boats that have a flat bottom, but still have a pointed bow in the front? In other words, they have no V on the bottom, but the bow comes to a point. I was thinking in my head that a boat like that may cut through chop a little bit better, and not sacrifice much if any shallow water draft. If that is an actual hull design, I'm not sure what its called.

Thanks again

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

sure a v hull with a flat bottom at the transom will "cut" small waves..

but the pounding you take is from the hull banging into the water...not ,,slicing through( or should I say NOT SLICING!!)

when the boat goes over a wave and the hull comes down that is where a lot fo the "pounding " is going on...bang bang bang...monotonous!!!

it is that big flat area smashing on the water..and nothing gives!!

a V bottom..( dead rise) does allow for some give.

and the big heavy boats with deep Vs dont ride on top of the water in the first place....they are already deep in the water!!!!

so they dont come "down" hard....they literally slice......

I also have a boat like you describe..it looks like a regular 16 foot deep V boat...a steep v up front...but at the transom it is flat side to side!!!!! with rounded chines

that boat was kinda rough in heavy seas......because the V dissapeared about 8 foot back from the bow!

bob