Determining leg length, strange heeling issue...

Boat_Boy!

Seaman Apprentice
I have an aluminum cutty, that exhibits a weird "pull" to starboard near top end of the throttle. At high speeds, the starboard aft corner seems to pulled or rather the port aft corner is pushed requiring significant ourse corrections at the helm. The boat is flat bottomed at the aft with a 18 degreee V at the bow. No chines to speak ofm, just the standard aluminum vanes.<br /><br />This problem makes the boat undrivable at top speeds, and heaven forbid one hits a broadside wake off another boat. I nearly flipped the whole thing last week.<br /><br />Could this be a leg length issue? Prop selection? How does one determine the correct leg length for a boat? I am rebuilding the boat this winter and could concievably raise the transom height.<br /><br />Thanks!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Determining leg length, strange heeling issue...

You runnin twins? I've heard of chine walking, but man! in a CC? If you only have the one outdrive, first make sure it is tight on the transom, then check the skeg and the zinc (if so equipped) to make sure they are lined-up.

Boat_Boy!

Seaman Apprentice

No, I'm not running twins, just a single Yammy C40. I think the leg is too long, could that cause the problem?

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class

your cavitation plate should generally be +-1 inch from the bottom of the transom. My boat displays similar problems, but only when I've got a bunch of people, and the weight if off centered. Could weight distribution be a factor? Good luck

Boat_Boy!

Seaman Apprentice

I have messed around with moving the tanks forward, putting the battery on the port side to even out my weight as I drive, and it seems to make little difference. The effect is worse when I have more mass in the boat.

Cedarplug

Cadet

I have a 20'Bayrunner. With the factory 3 blade aluminum prop. she pulles hard at top speed. With a 4 blade comp. prop it does'nt pull at all ( the comp. prop is less dia. than the other prop.).