A couple of ?'s on my new 76 25hp evinrude w/ picture

kawaboy-zx11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, i bought a 1976 25 hp evinrude today, the guy i got it from said its a long shaft, im not sure if it really is........let me know what u think. also there is no spark on either cylinder but i did see that one of the coils is cracked open, so i ordered a new set tonight. this motor has no kill switch on it that i can find and no "off" position printed on the tiller handle, just "start,shift, and fast-> "if i just turn it backwards will it kill it? also he said it was used on a pontoon boat and he gave me a long wiring harness with it. will it run without it connected and ill just use the pull start for now instead of using the electric start? sorry so many questions but im fairly new and uneducated about outboard motors. Thanks, Dennis

Attachments

• small rude.jpg
    small rude.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 0
  • small rude 2.jpg
    small rude 2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jasper60103

Commander
Re: A couple of ?'s on my new 76 25hp evinrude w/ picture

wow, thats a clean looking motor. You can also wire a push button for the electric start.

kawaboy-zx11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wow, thats a clean looking motor. You can also wire a push button for the electric start.

yeah, its pretty clean looking. there is one broken place on the very bottom of the motor, the part that protects the prop is chipped off a little bit "like they hit a rock". you can see it in the pictures. Dennis

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Make sure that the cavitation plate is about even with the bottom of your hull...otherwise you may need to get a long shaft because your boat will not plane.

MAS

kawaboy-zx11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok... so i am getting no spark on either cylinder, so i went out and pulled the flywheel today and i see that on of the point sets is a little melted and if you push on it it wont spring back against the cam. also one of the coils is comming apart,so i ordered a set of coils and 2sets of points and condensers, if that doesent fix the electric problem i guess it has to be the driver coil. is there any kill switch i should know about? it was used on a pontoon boat with a key im guessing. there is no kill switch on the tiller. also somethin strange is that when i turn the tiller handle it doesnt go very far at all and the roller thing that increases speed doesnt even go up over the hump on the magneto plate. is there like a speed limiter or some thing on these engines? Thanks, Dennis

tmasloske

Seaman Apprentice

There is a bracket on the magneto plate that usually limits how far you can advance the throttle when in nuetral. If you put the motor into forward, you should be able to advance the throttle all the way.

kawaboy-zx11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you are absolutly right. i put it in gear and it went all the way. do you have the same motor? Thanks, Dennis

tn_katfish

Recruit

does your harness plug look like this one?

Attachments

• plugend.jpg
    plugend.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 0

kawaboy-zx11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes...just like that. where would i put a push button start? Thanks, Dennis