big twin points and condenser longevity

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class
1959 super seahorse, 35hp, model rds21b...

bought this not even a year ago, and it was already a runner from the day i bought it. i've been using it ever since and it's fine. i did pull the flywheel to hook up the cutout switch and a dash-mounted ignition shutoff...but stupidly, i never even looked at the points and condensers, since it ran well all along.

anyway, i have no idea how long, how many hours, or years or whatever a set of points and condenser are good for? 50 hours? 100? 500?

-peter

Last edited:

Mike2076

Cadet
Re: big twin points and condenser longevity

Hello,no more than they cost i have always replace them once a year with normal use around 4 or 5 times a month.if you use your boat alot more than normal try every 6 months,but definetly once a year.good fishin Mike:)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Back in the "olden" days we used to do "tune-ups" which included replacing points, condensers, and plugs. Annual was a good rule of thumb. Shoot, I remember I had to do a tune up on my '63 Chevy every 10,000 miles because it would get to missing. My 2000 Chevy has 130,000 miles on it and has never been touched except for oil changes. But the old stuff is still a lot of fun. Oops, I take that back, I did replace the plugs one time in the '00 just because the book said to, not because it needed it.

wbeaton

Commander

Like spark plugs, I only replace them when they need it. I have somes motors that are +50 years old with the original points and condensers. Anytime I have the flywheel off of a motor I test the coils and condensers and clean the points.

freddyray21

Commander

the points will vitually last forever. sometimes they need redressing and resetting, but that is about it. the condensers will go bad, but if it is running okay don't change them.

56 rude

Banned

have the original ignition still in my 1939 22.5 evrinrude,also the original impeller!of course the impeller is made out of metal so i guess thats cheating,lol.wonder why they went to rubber impellers,cost?