nothing from ignition switch

mack bolan

Recruit
I have a 1982 140hp evenrude outboard, on monday i start it no problem run for about five minutes and i turn it off wednesday i took it to the ramp to go fishing would not start, everything else work tilt and trim, light, instrument panel, fishfinder. when i check the ignition switch none of the six wire has a live feed, i run a wire from the yellow and red wire straight to the starter seloinoid bypassing the nutual switch and still nothing not even a click, i was able to start the ingine by jumping the positive from the battery thats on the starter seloinoid to the yellow and red connection thats on the seloinoid so i know the batteries are charge and the starter is working. its like the keyswitch is not getting any power. the starter and the seloinoid is fairly new put them on the engine in december and was able to use the boat a couple times, the ignition switch has 6 connection which goes into a harness which goes into the motor. i just bought another switch today but before i make the switch i wanted a second opinion, if the battery switch is turn on one or more of the wires on the ignition switch should have a positive reading is that correct. any help would be greatly appreciated. and thanks in advance

daselbee

Commander
Re: nothing from ignition switch

Your fuse located at the engine is blown.
This a separate circuit from all the accessories you say are still working.

mack bolan

Recruit

I check the fuse on top of the engine block its in a black case about half an inch is this the one you are talking about

daselbee

Commander

Sorry man, I have been on vacation...
Got it fixed yet? If not...

I really don't know exactly where the fuse is on your engine, but I know it is there. You checked the only fuse you could find? How did you check it?
You could take it out and measure with an ohmmeter, a zero ohms reading indicates good. An infinity reading indicates bad.

On the back of the ignition switch, you will see terminals labelled with letters...the one with "B" label and a red wire with a purple stripe should be +12v at all times. If the fuse is blown, or if there is an OPEN in that red/purple wire between the engine and your switch, it will cause your symptoms.