Mercruiser cracked block???

chrisw21

Recruit
I've got a 1999 5.0L merc. A while back the boat started to run rough, backfire, wouldn't hit full rpm, etc. I pulled the plugs and found a couple were loaded up and had some rust on them. Now the first thing that comes to mind is risers/manifolds. I pull them and they are pretty rusty, but no obvious holes or leaks. Looked into the exhaust ports and saw some rust on one of the valves (CRAP!!!). Pulled the valve cover and found bent pushrod from a stuck valve. Pulled the heads and sent out for rebuild. Get a call saying both heads are cracked!! Guy says I must have overheated pretty bad. Temp gauge never went above 170 - 180 when it was running (I check all gauges constantly when running). So now I buy new heads, risers, manifolds, etc. and put everything back together. Boat starts right up and idles great, but still can't get full rpm. Find water on one of the plugs. Started to pull everything off again and found foamy, brown oil/water mixture covering the underside of the intake manifold and head gasket was blown out. Talked to some people and they said that I likely have a cracked block and when water entered the cylinder, it would turn to steam and blow out the head gasket. I looked at the problem cylinder walls and could not see any cracks. So here are my questions:
1) Would water cause the head gasket to blow out?
2) I check my oil before EVERY trip and have never seen water on the dipstick. Why would the top end have obvious water/oil mix but none seen in the pan?
3) Could the block have gotten hot enough to crack without it showing on my temp gauge?
4) What do you think the chances are that the new head gasket just blew out for some reason? I'm thinking not too likely because it was the same cylinder that had issues before the repair, but I'm no expert.
5) Is there any way to pressure test the coolant part of the engine with it still in the boat?
6) Do you think I should get new head gaskets and bolts and give it another shot? (BTW... what's the deal with these damn "torque to yield" head bolts that can't be re-used?!?! Those things are too expensive to just use once and throw out!)
7) Anyone have a good 5.0 short block for sale?

I know this is a long post with alot of questions, but I've now been boat-less for a year and its KILLING ME!! The whole reason I bought a house on a canal was so I could go on the water whenever I wanted. Now I get to sit and look at my boat on the side of the house while my neighbor's boat is on MY lift!!! Thanks in advance for your advice!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser cracked block???

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,....
I followed everything up to where water is blamed for the Headgasket...
Sooo,....
#1,... No.. The other way around Maybe, but the water Can't/ Won't blow out a Headgasket,...
Unless there's somethingelse that's Very Wrong...
Which brings me to question #4,...
Was the Head checked for Flatness,..?? I would Assume so...
Was the block's Deck checked for Flatness,..?? I Assume Not....
Was the block's Deck,+ the Head, Perfectly Cleaned, before reassembley,..??
The tinyest bit of Crud is Too Much... It's gotta be Cleaner than your dinner plate, Before dinner...
My Guess is, the headgasket was replaced, but the Core Problem wasn't found or Fixed...

#2,... Condensation...Heat,+ water vapor rise,+ condence...

#3,... Have you owned it since New,..?? It could be an older problem which Grew....
And,... Blocks Crack when cooled too quickly,...A Temp Gauge won't show an Overheat if there's No water at the sending unit... Only after water flow returns, which is After it Cracks...
If it's cracked at All...

#5,... Drain the Block,...
Block off the block's cooling passages by clamping, plugging, whatever to the In-bound,+ Out-bound hoses...
Then apply Air pressure, 10/ 15psi is PLENTY... You'll hear the leaks if there are any...

Good Luck,...