Alpha I Gen II Leak around Upper/Lower Joint

maxumized

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After replacing the impeller in my 97 Alpha I, I've noticed it dripping a bit of gear lube from the seams between the upper and lower unit. It also appears to be dripping from the small single hole on each side.

At first I was thinking it was left over lube that had made its way out of the resevoir while installing on the transom, or maybe some that had gotten in a few places during reassembly of the drive.

But, it's making me nervous. Would I be able to tell using a pressure test where internally this was coming from, even if it just leaks between the upper/lower seams?

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Alpha I Gen II Leak around Upper/Lower Joint

did you replace the oil passage o-ring on the lower unit before you placed the two halves together?

maxumized

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I replaced the entire seal, carrier, and o-rings as an assembly. It came with the impeller kit.

ziggy

Admiral

i think jollyman is refering to the quad ring seal that is located between the upper and the lower. it's the only seal between the upper and the lower..

looks like this..
IMG_4404.jpg

or part #7 in this diagram... http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=809759%2096&ivar=images/CRUISER/809759.96/8.png&inbr=1942&bnbr=130&bdesc=GEAR+HOUSING+(DRIVESHAFT)(STANDARD+ROTATION)

yes, a pressure test will help lead you towards finding a leak..

maxumized

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That could very well be the issue. Didn't see that as part of the reassembly in the manual.

Bondo

Staff member

That could very well be the issue. Didn't see that as part of the reassembly in the manual.

Ayuh,... Then That's the Problem,.... Pull it apart,+ replace the quad-ring...

ziggy

Admiral

Didn't see that as part of the reassembly in the manual.
must not be the oem service manual. s/m 14. pp 3B-79. item 4, second sentence (regarding "Joining Drive Shaft Housing/Gear housing"). "Ensure that all parts are present on the gear housing and the drive shaft housing." then there's a pic of the gear housing with 4 parts listed a-d. #d is quad ring....

if you don't have the oem service manual, go to the adults only sticky at the top of the i/o forum and go to #9. you'd want sm #14 for your genII drive..

maxumized

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not the manual's fault... MY fault. I see that now. I overlooked that part when reviewing the step regarding the aluminum vs. rubber water dam.

I'm sure that ring was in the water pump kit too... Bet I over looked that as well.