Hydrolock?? ....... Volvo 5.7

first post here...so excuse me if i am reposting a question that has been asked before, i searched but didn't find my scenerio posted.

Just bought a 1999 23' larson cuddy with a volvo 5.7 w/ cobra sx outdrive ,taken out to lake mead a few times since i bought it no problems,until i pulled up to a sandy cove to camp the other night,instead of pulling up to shore then throttling it a bit to beach it, i throttled before i got to shore then cut engine and coasted to shore so my nice wake came up behind me and up my transom,and didn't even think about it.....stupid,stupid!

So we were all having a great time and a few hours go by and i try to crank the motor to charge the battery and ....click ....nothing.switch battery bank and same thing,dang it! maybe someone else knows the feeling of being out in the middle of NOWHERE, stuck....not good. At least it was a really cool cove is what kept telling myself.

I pulled all 8 plugs and water was in just about all 8 cylinders more in some than others,cranked it to get all water i could out ,i also drained the manifolds while i was twisted all up the engine compartment,i let it dry over night put all plugs back in next morning and told my boat i loved her before i cranked it and she started right up!! There was no water in the oil ,thankfully.

I headed straight for the dock to take it home this morning but it was running excellent so we stayed out all day and had a blast cruising around the lake, hoover dam area...stayed fairly close to the dock though.

Did i mess up by not taking it straight home and doing a compression check or something ,what are you supposed to do when this happens? The manifolds are pretty high above the water line so i'm pretty sure it was a mistake i hope to never make again.

Did i mess up ? Do i need to do something else? my neighbor said to spray (fog it)wd-40 in carb while running to moisten seals then change impeller (i was planning to do so anyway before next outing)....is this right?

thank you for any replies

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hydrolock?? ....... Volvo 5.7

Howdy,

Well you probably didn't hurt a thing if you only let that water sit in there over night.....

I would have pulled the plugs immediately, cranked it, put the plugs back in and ran it as soon as I got the plugs back in.

It appears that you let it sit all night before running it.
In the future remove the plugs, just purge the engine and run it. any residual water will be pushed out and any water in the oil will evaporate out if you run it long enough. If you still suspect water in the oil you should change it.

This has nothing to do with your impeller..... and no you don't need to put WD40 or other oils in the cyls if you ran it right after after purging the water out.

Cheers,

Rick