Water out Pee hole stops and starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

hidyusa

Cadet
I have a 1999 Mercury (tracker) engine. 25HP. Running the unit in a tub of water the unit will start right up and a little exhaust will come out of the pee hole. Then after about 20 secs a little water will trickle out. Then every so often a stream of water for about 5 secs then it will go back to a trickle. The water will be warm to hot. I thought it would be the water pump, so I replaced that. It does the same thing. Raising the RPM does not seem to help. I have read all the forums on this problem but do not see one with a solution. One thing I do notice is that the hole towards the front of the lower unit will pour water out of it. I think this is the drain for the lower unit cavity. The water is shooting out of it like it should be coming out of the pee hole. I pulled the lower unit back off thinking the copper tube was not sealed from the pump to the top half. everything looks good there from what I can see. It is hard to see the top rubber seal, but when I push the copper tube into it, it seams to fit snug. So a couple of questions:

1. Should there be any exhaust that comes out of the pee hole?

2. Should the water stop and start with the opening of a thermostat out of the pee hole?

3. why is there so much water coming out of the small hole located in the side of lower unit towards the front? Is the copper tube leaking up high at the seal and filling the lower unit housing?

Any help on this issue will be appreciated.

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Water out Pee hole stops and starts

Lower unit exhaust mixed with water is normal. Does the power head become too hot to touch while running? If it doesn't appear to be overheating, get a small drill bit and push up into pee hole. Many times they are just clogged with debris.

porkchop3292

Cadet

i have a 1975 70 horse johnson and i replace water pump because there was no water coming out of holes i reinstalled and now i have water coming under power head ant thing i did wrong help .I took back apart and seen where the grommet is making contact . i put hose on water tube and i don't see it come out hole

hidyusa

Cadet
Dont think it is plugged

Dont think it is plugged

I dont think it is plugged because it will push a good stream out once in a while. It is just not all the time. I have not ran it long enough to see how hot the engine really gets. I know in about 2-4 mins it will get warm but not too hot to the touch.

I wanted to get the facts on the "not steady stream" of water out of the pee hole before I went on and seen how hot it would get.

superjay

Cadet

Your motor has a thermostat which opens and closes when needed, so when the engine is cold or warming up the thermostat is closed which does not let water pass by it, when the engine warms up enough the thermostat will open and let the water flow, which is what you are seeing for 5 seconds every few minutes since you are running it in a tub of water there isn't any drag on the engine so it cools down very quickly and then it stops the water from flowing. Two strokes need to run much hotter then 4 strokes so they can burn the oil properly so the thermostats are generally set much hotter then a 4 stroke engine. What you are seeing is a properly running engine, and when you put the engine under stress you should see much more consistent flow coming out of the pee hole. There is also a bypass built into the head of the motor which is the trickle you will see coming out of the hole when the thermostat is closed.

Nippissinger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Porkchop,

you will get better results if you post in the correct forum.

You have a Johnson and you are in Mercury forum.

porkchop3292

Cadet

Sorry about that did not realize i had done that. Still new to this . It is a wonderful site . Thank s

crazyclam

Cadet

Sorry about that did not realize i had done that. Still new to this . It is a wonderful site . Thank s

still the same issue of pumping water....make sure your tub is above the water intake point.....with the water swirling around it may or may not be the right level......It would not hurt to do a test on the lake where you will have ample water flow.....YOu replaced the water impellar?

25marshrunner

Recruit

stop and starts in the water flow is normal for the correct operating temp of the motor. i have a 25 mercury and it does the same thing. I bet it doesent trickle when you run the boat mine makes a straight stream.
I also have an older merc 25 that i have removed the thermostat from and it has a strong stream all the time. I wouldent worry about it until the stream totally stops.;)

hidyusa

Cadet

THANKS A LOT FOR THE REPLYS!!!

I didnt know but thought that might be the case. My 1994 30hp evinrude does NOT do that. It streams all the time.

Thanks again

NorthernBCguy

Recruit

Is this the same for the 50hp motors? I have a Merc 500 that has no water pumping. I took the impeller apart and it seems fine, but the key is loose on the shaft.

Mike(nj)

Seaman

Just traded my 2000 9.9 Yamaha for a super clean 1992 Merc 25hp. Water was hardly coming out on mine too.......took the lower end apart and everything looked new so I put it back together. Checked the thermostat and fould it was seized closed! Took it out and she pee's good now!

netmaster49444

Recruit
OK, I have a 97 tracker 40 HO 4 Cyl 2 stroke. Put a new water pump in and no water, even put the very lower block in and greased the bearing, then just a little and that was it, stopped. Stopped motor and started again, no water. Engine is getting hot. Checked everything, cleaned all water ports in pump and can push water through the engine if I hook a hose to the water tube where it comes out at the pump. Water comes out weep hole and little port on head between cylinder2 and 3. Flows great. very little water coming out of exhaust. Put all back together and no water. Impeller is bent the right way when taken apart, key is in. All gaskets in correct locations. I was thinking thermostat but the water flows through and comes out all the ports when hose hooked to water tube. The old impeller was destroyed so I made sure there was nothing between pump and intake..

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.