Can't get lower unit back up

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Hey guys, I'm doing the water pump on a friends 2000 Johnson 200hp. The L/U came down easy as can be, the water pump replacement went smooth, but now I am running into a problem getting the L/U back up.

It seems like every time I get 7/8 of the way up, the shift rod is hitting something and turning slightly to the right, and then I can't go any further. I have tried lubing up the top of the shift rod but it still seems to run into something and twist a bit right before the L/U gets all the way up.

The boat has twins on it, and the other side went up perfect, first try.

I didn't move the shift rod at all when I had it down, so I know it's still at the correct height.

These motors have the kind of shift rod release with the little threaded pin, that you need to get to from the port side of the motor, under the carbs.

I pulled the threaded pin out to release the shift rod, but was also wondering if you can just remove that whole part that the shift rod attaches to and slide it off of the linkage, as I think this is where my problem lies.

There is another bolt facing the front of the motor under the bottom carb and it looks like if I take that out I can slide that whole assembly off, then put it back on after I get the L/U back up, and the shift rod is in the right place.

Will that work? Did I explain myself right?

Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can't get lower unit back up

yes you can remove it, i do it all the time. it really takes 2 people to get those back on. also, removing the shift cable, and sliding the rod to the starboard, makes it easier to reassemble. i just did one that the pin came in from the starboard side, that one was really fun.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I am in total agreement with the "2 people" thing. I never do one without a helper at hand.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Oh there is two of us, so there is double the cursing and frustration.

OK, so I can just remove that front bolt and slide that little metal piece off of the shaft, and then just re-install that whole piece once the shift rod and L/U are back up and in place?

The thing is that it looks like there is a little slot in that little metal piece that slides off, that the shift rod has to fall perfectly into, and I am wondering how I slide that little metal piece back on after the shift rod is already in place?

Will I just have to push the shift rod back out of the way with a screwdriver and then slide the piece back on that shaft, or will it just slide back on no problem, and then I will have to just put the pin back in and screw it down?

The starboard engine went right back up no problem, the shift rod slid right into that little slot, I guess that one was lucky.

Tashasdaddy.....yeah that doesn't sound fun trying to get a pin in from the starboard side, way more stuff in the way.

I just did my '97 Johnson 115 and it has the setup with the clip/pin on the starboard side that you just pull out and then slide the linkage to the port side to release the shift rod, that takes about 15 seconds. I don't understand why they didn't just continue to use that system for all motors? So easy.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Figured I'd update this for a future search.

Turns out the shift rod was twisting as soon as we were putting the L/U backup, so by the time it got to the point where it had to go through the little opening just under the linkage, it was already turned too much, and wouldn't go through.

All we had to do was hold the shift rod from turning while we slid the L/U up, until we had to pop the water tube back in, and then it went right up.

NEVER had a shift rod turn like that on me when putting a L/U back up, you learn something new everyday.