Installing Smart Tabs on Sea-rayder F16

ProbeGT

Seaman
I received my smart tabs today.

When i opened the package i noticed this little message:
http://www.nauticusinc.com/pdf/SX_cautions.pdf

Obviously, on the smart tabs product description, this message is not shown. Then I started to look for the stainless steel smart tabs. The only difference i can see between the SX model (wich I ordered) and the Stainless model is that the Stainless model uses a steel bolt and SX uses a plastic bolt (wich kinda scares me)

So if I use a steel bolt and locknut instead of the plastic bolt, will it work? (I've sent an email to Iboat to return my product for exchange then i've seen they does not accept any return from canada...

Also, i'm kinda confused on how to install them correctly on my boat.

Here's 2 pictures of the back of a F16.

f_16380126_3.jpeg

f_16380126_1.jpeg

How can i correctly install the upper part of the trim tabs????

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Installing Smart Tabs on Sea-rayder F16

my suggestion is you contact Nauticus customer service, they are great, and will help you solve your problem. moving to boats, this in not a PWC.
Nauticus, Inc

8080 Snowville Rd.
Brecksville, OH 44141
Toll Free: 800-233-0194
Fax: 440-746-1291
info@NauticusInc.com

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

The SX's are entirely plastic, the SS ones are obviously stainless steel. Huge difference in product. (I installed the ST980-40 ones on my Sugar Sand Heat jet boat)

Made a HUGE difference! it went from sluggish out of the hole to nearly planing instantly.

as far as how to mount the upper part, that could be interesting. Your swim platform seems like it is exactly in the wrong spot. You could probably mount them further outside, they would be less effective at speed but that isn't the point anyway, it is the planing issue they help with.

ProbeGT

Seaman

Yes my swim platform takes a lot of place...

I'll e-mail nauticus to see if they can help me out...

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

The Toll free number which we include in our kits and post on our web site is available for use in Canada as well as the USA. All you need to do is call us and we will help you with the mounting issues. 800-233-0194 or 440-746-1290.

ProbeGT

Seaman

I'm not very very good at speaking english, that's why I mostly uses forums to gather informations and have some help.

I think I just can't install smart tabs on my boat, unless I go see a craftman who would build special anchors moulded to my transom so i could bolt the upper shock absorber bracket on them.

That's sad because my boat takes a day to get of the water when we're only 2 in it. This weekend I'll bring it to a marina to inspect the engine and turbine. Top speed is not that far from OEM, maybe 4-5MPH less but acceleration is very sluggish.

Sometimes i also have hard vibrations comming from the engine bay and I'm wondering if my crankshaft bearings are worn or the turbine unbalanced.

I hope it's only the turbine, i don,t want to spend 1500$ to rebuild this old chrysler anchor.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

ProbeGT

Seaman

Thanx for the tips.

I'll mesure my transom to see if i have these 8 inches needed to install them.

all the installed pictures are nice but nothing is like the back of my searayder. Like the picture I posted above, the design is weird.

Nauticus inc. does not e-mail me back, just as Solas... That's bad, I think my english is not THAT bad so they don't wanna e-mail me back ;)

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

ProbeGT:

I am from Nauticus, and thought that I was responding here. If you need more assistance, let me know and I still suggest that you call and not worry about your English. It is my first language and I still mess it up on a regular basis. Actually it is my only language which means that you are way ahead of most of us in the US.

ProbeGT

Seaman

Ohh, I'm sorry I didn't know you were from nauticus.

So, if I contact Iboats to exchange my SX smart tabs for SS model, there might be a chance?

Actually, with some work i could have those SX installed but the shock absorber cannot fully move on the tabs plate so there's a very limited swivel action, that's one of the problems. Those SS model won't have this problem but i'm still trying to figure how to bolt the upper part securely.

I'll mesure my transom tonight and give you a feedback.

Thanx for all your support!

also I'll try to take better pictures of my boat so we can better see how i could mount them.

ProbeGT

Seaman

Well I mesured the boat today and I have the 8 inches clearances needed. One problem is that my speed sensor is in the way, and on the other side, my sonar sensor is in the way.

If I move them I'll have holes on my transom and i don't know how to repair them.

ziggy

Admiral

i've no comment on your install, sorry. but this statement would concern me. unless it's a real underpowered jetboat.
That's sad because my boat takes a day to get of the water when we're only 2 in it. This weekend I'll bring it to a marina to inspect the engine and turbine. Top speed is not that far from OEM, maybe 4-5MPH less but acceleration is very sluggish.

Sometimes i also have hard vibrations comming from the engine bay and I'm wondering if my crankshaft bearings are worn or the turbine unbalanced.
if it were me, i'd be making sure the engine is is good perfect tune and i'd be looking at the jet pump for wear. especially the jet pump. you may just be putting a bandaid on to hide your problem... imho...

ProbeGT

Seaman

Yes, I'm also trying to fix my jetpump because i think it does not perform as it should be. The engine should not be the problem, it start and runs pretty well, the RPM jumps it the operating range very very quickly. But since the site Jetboat14.com has closed, informations on these old sportjet is very rare.

But since the smarttabs seems to very very very efficient, i'd like to install them too because i want to reduce my planning speed when i'm cruising slowly.

nlain

Commander

ProbeGT, call Nauticus They will help you. I am sure there is not a problem you cannot work through with them, they are good people, they have a great product and give great support, call them.

ProbeGT

Seaman

I received my Smart tabs last week and installed them this evening.

One thing is for sure, this is a really, REALLY tight fit.

installed correctly, the bolt for the upper actuator bracket arrives right on the swim plate. On the left one i had just enough space to push the bolt in the bracket but tell me why, on the right side there was not enough space so I had to put the lower bracket screw, put the actuator bolt in place, then rotate the bracket on the actuator to let the bolt go trough, then unbolt the lower actuator bracket (on the tab) screw the upper screw of the upper bracket, lift the actuator to access the lower screw so i can tighten it, then re-install the actuator on the tab. Very tight fit but it can be done. I didn't have my digital camera so I have no picture but this monday i should go for a ride and try them, i'll take pictures and come back with the results. I wanna try them before I rebuild my jetpump so i can see the improvements in the actual conditions. All my jetpump parts are arrived so I'll be able to rebuild it next week-end.

ProbeGT

Seaman

well, I tried them today and it made a huge difference for take-off.

the boat planes instantly, but the tabs are too strong for my boat, top speed went from 38MPH to 32.

i'll try the minimum setting on the tabs next time and if it still slows me down i'll try to get 40lbs actuators.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

We will exchange the actuators if you feel it is necessary but we do it within 30 days.

Take pictures of the installation and send them to me at John@Nauticusinc.com

ProbeGT

Seaman

Well, I tried them again today since I was alone.

My actuator is just way too strong. Before going in the water I changed the settings to the minimum effect possible. Still going only 32MPH alone, the boat planes instantly but is slow to get to speed.

Then i removed them completely (The actuators and the plates so i can't damage them) and the boat took a little more time to plane but I could reach 37MPH and acceleration was better.

I think even the 40lbs actuators might be too strong since i have actually NO bowrise problems. I only need a little help to plane when the boat is loaded with people.

at 5200RPM i was going 32MPH with the tabs and without i could cruise 30MPH @ 4500RPM so they're defenetly slowing me down.

What do you think about this Mr. Jdeagro? Do you think the 20lbs would be enough since i only need a little help? (and with my upcoming rebuilt jetdrive it should be better with people also)