Dropping cylinder? Electrical issue?

partybargeguy

Recruit
Hello I have a 1981 140hp Evinrude V4 (E140TRLCIM). Over the winter I rebuilt the powerhead, carbs, fuel pump, water pump, etc.

I have had it on the lake a few times to break it in so far. When I first get it to the lake it fires up with a tap of the starter, idles smooth, accelerates and runs very smooth. So much better than last year. But the odd thing is the each time out I decided to fish after cruising. So both times I was on trolling motor only for an hour or so.

Here is the weird thing. I am done fishing so I pump the primer like normal and the engine starts but idles rough. It seems like it is running on 3 cylinders maybe. I forgot my timing light to check all the plug wires. Idle/engine is rough up through 2200 rpm then bam she lights up.

Now here is the weird thing I noticed today. I was watching the volt meter. Up to about the same 2200 rpm the needle reads 14-16 volts and stable. Over that speed the needle dives to 8 or so volts and rapidly jumps up and down between 8 and 12 volts??

I am worried I did not find and correct the root cause of last years issues that cause me to have to rebuild the powerhead. Any help on either item ( I think they are related) would be very helpful.