waterpipe seal

porkchop3292

Cadet
i have a johnson 70 horse 1975 model number 70ESL75E i change water pump and place it back together and water is coming up around bottom of power head i disasmbiled thinking of waterpipe seal is bad my question is should that pipe be so loose i can wiggle it all around and to replace the seal can i just pull it shright down and out to replace or do i have to tear down further to get to that seal i test ran in lake and that why i was asking no water comming out of weep hole it all comming out around bottom of powerhead

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: waterpipe seal

Did you replace the water tube grommet in the water outlet of the impeller housing in order to make a water tube tight seal?

Sounds like you forgot to install the large grommet that sits on top of the water pump housing that seals off the driveshaft area. Best to drop the lower unit to double check.

porkchop3292

Cadet

i put the seal in the housing that came with the new kit and it did seam larger then the seal that was on the old housing it did not fit close to the drive shaft that what i was thinking that i might have ordered the wrong kit and that could be my problem but while tearing down is when i notice that that water pipe was so loose i did not know if it was to be that flexible. i did check lower unit and do have grommet in between water guide tube and housing like parts schematic shows

porkchop3292

Cadet

i pulled the pump housing off lower unit and notice the i did not put o'ring on end of shaft under the spines on the drive shaft but i did see that the grommet on top of the water pump house does not make contact with drive shaft you can put a stick of gum between seal and drive shaft .Should that be that much room this is a new housing and assembly

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The distance between that driveshaft sealing grommet and the actual driveshaft is of no consequence.

The important part is that the seal makes contact and seals tightly against the hole that the driveshaft goes into in the long exhaust housing that the lower unit bolts up to.

porkchop3292

Cadet

yes i can see where the two make contact there is a little indentation where the two meet so they are sealing there on the top of the water pump housing but i did not put the o-ring on the drive shaft

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The grease on the upper driveshaft splines and that O Ring you mention is to prevent the driveshaft splines from rusting tightly to the crankshaft splines. Make sure you use the O Ring and grease at that area.

porkchop3292

Cadet

so if i am getting a good seal on the water pump house grommet the water I'm seeing at the bottom of the power head could be coming from the water tube seal i'm not getting no water out 2 little pee holes in the area under the motor. i also looked at impeller and there no key way on new impeller just this little white and black plastic wedge looking thingy pieces is that something new or do h have the wrong impeller

porkchop3292

Cadet

i just rebuilt the carbs on this motor and man did it make a difference i wished i never had change that water pump cause the water come up around bottom of power head never happened till i change water pump housing and impeller i don't know if it is the water tube seal i was just reading around Internet and was thinking that is what it was cause that tube is so loose in that housing when i line up the housing on the lower unit when reinstalling it and i know im getting a good seal on the water pump grommet and on guide tube can any one help me just scratching head now looking for answers

porkchop3292

Cadet

OK gang this is what i found after further tear down. I found the water tube grommet half gone it was brittle and broke real easy so that might have been the problem . It looked like that on the water pump guide tube the water tube got caught up on it when i was installing bottom( in wheel chair might be why i miss aligned ) next will get help to re install you can see on the tube were it cut into the plastic might be what dislodge grommet

porkchop3292

Cadet

after cleaning and checking parts all the bolts broke in the exhaust housing adaptor. i am going to try to drill and tap them out and replace all bolts i was getting some exhaust in the powerhead area while running so this will also fix that problem also

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Before attempting to remove bolts, have a hand held propane torch handy to heat the aluminum surrounding any overly tight bolt/screw which will help in freeing that bolt/screw.

Also have a fire extinguisher and/or garden hose on hand.

porkchop3292

Cadet

Thanks for that advise i did not think about that will try this afternoon to see if it worked .This weekend now a week long project has been a good experience i have really enjoyed it and learning along the way thanks for the help..I cant wait to get it back together and take it on the water to see my hard work pay off

porkchop3292

Cadet

I got all my broke bolts out (hooooo) I was able to take a stud extractor to 5 and remove them and had to drill out the other 2 the propane torch did the trick .Thanks Joe Reeves for that advise and just waiting on parts now and i got me a service Manuel to get my torque specs. to start reassemble

porkchop3292

Cadet

ahoy gang i have a question for the johnson mechanics. I am working on my 1975 70 horse and i notices a hole in my water pipe while cleaning part for reassembly should this hole be there its located in the bend of the tube close to the lower unit about 5 inches from where the water pump housing guide is

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

A small perfectly drilled hole at that area would be to allow a slight spray to cool the long exhaust housing.

porkchop3292

Cadet

morning fellow boaters how are ya. I have a question. I'm working on this 1975 70 horse Johnson . While ordering parts i made a boo boo i ordered parts for a 1979-88 70 hp .My question is. Are the water pump housing the same thing the look the same . Does any now if the are the same it's a sierra. The impeller are not the same it dose not have a key it has this small piece of plastic so i will sent that back