Ranger boat trailer

RobMims

Recruit
Im changing a flat but cant get the wheel off even with a sledge...I dont have to take the hub off do I?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ranger boat trailer

No -- you don't have to remove the hub. The wheel has rusted to the hub around the center hole and a few raps with a hammer or maul should loosen it. If that doesn't work you may need to pull the hub and wheel and work with it that way. Lay the wheel flat, put a short piece of 2x4 across the hub and give it a smack or two. If the back of the hub rests on the floor you will need to put the wheel on a couple of 2x4s to raise it up a bit.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

worst case you may need a tourch to burn it off.
may need a new wheel.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

get a can of PB Blaster and spray the wheel flange as much as you can and let it sit a little, then rap it with a mallet. When you do get it apart put grease on the flange face before you put the wheel back on.

86RajunCajun

Petty Officer 1st Class

As suggested soak it with PB blaster and let it sit. After it has sat for a while, heat the center of the rim as much as safely possible and heat the hub as LITTLE as possible. The heat on the rim will cause it to expand and then you can whack at it with a hammer carefully to break it loose.

Keep at it, youll get it off.

GL

RC

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

i had stripped lug nuts on my old truck, and i had to have someone blast off the bolts with a torch. it ruined the rim too, so had to get another wheel

NYBo

Admiral

Another method to try after you soak it with PB Blaster is to loosen the lug nuts several turns with the wheel on the ground and rock the trailer from side to side.