Possibly Gonna Need A Motor

needsomehelp

Cadet
EDIT I was catfishing last night and I believe my water pump went out. Since it was dark I did not realize it until the motor cut off and it acts like it is locked up. Also if anybody has any other ideas on what may be wrong please let me know. Thanks

EDIT: NSH, you need to read our rules about trying to buy or sell on the fora. JB

Last edited by a moderator:

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Possibly Gonna Need A Motor

Ouch

Drop the lower unit and turn each separately to be sure which is locked up.

needsomehelp

Cadet

I have recently looked into my problem a little further. I can turn the motor with a breaker bar on the fly wheel nut to a certian point in one direction and then to a certian point in the other direction. While turning it with the spark plugs out you can hear and see all three pistons moving. Do I still need to drop the lower unit and if so what exactly am I looking for?

Last edited:

cell

Petty Officer 1st Class

so with the plugs out you can turn the flywheel all the way around?

needsomehelp

Cadet

I can not turn it completly around but it will turn. It will turn about 1/4 to 1/2 of the way around in each direction.

arcrat

Cadet

Give us a little info on the motor ser year hp ...ok my guess is carbon build up ..have you decarb the motor any time....

needsomehelp

Cadet

Its a 1996 60 hp mercury. No I have not decarb the motor. Not real sure what you mean by this.