Steering Getting Tighter

imported_Z

Cadet
I have a 1990 175 hp Johnson on a 20 ft Stratos boat. Steering is getting tighter each year. Disconnected the motor from the cables and the motor moves freely. Indicates the cables and steering unit. This is a dual cable system - Teleflex rack and pinion unit, seems that cables and rack are all one unit . Couple of questions:

Can you replace a dual cable with a single cable? Expect the answer is no - Don't drive the boat in excess of 50 MPH very often. Cost difference is significant.

Can I replace with out pulling the motor off? It seems the latest Teleflex units the cable are removable at the wheel.

Can you cut the old cables to remove them? I was thinking with a sawzall. There is an access point in the back well of the boat that may give me enough clearance to remove the rods.

Thanks for your help. Love this forum, read often to learn about outboards.

Have another post coming shortly on rectifier, tach and charging system. That will wait for another day.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering Getting Tighter

First question. Have you ever lubricated the steering system ???
After time grease can congeal and harden causing issues and problems and tighter steering. I would not start changing anything till you have exhausted other low cost options.

imported_Z

Cadet

I have applied a light oil to the rods the best I could. Is there another area that I should be applying oil to and what is the best kind of oil for the job.

Thanks for your reply.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Is it tight in the steering tube ????

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It is long overdue for preventative maintenance. You are supposed to be removing the cables from the tubes and cleaning out the tubes and re-lubricating them on a regular schedule. Ignore it just a little longer and you will have a terrible time getting them out of the tubes.

Sounds like you have to lift the motor off the transom to get them out. So be it. It has to be done.

imported_Z

Cadet

When you take the large nuts off the tubes, the cables pull out fairly easily up to the point where the cable prevents them from going any further. They are not jammed up.

One rod is very clean on both ends while the other is showing some rust.

I am assuming you lift the motor, move it to the left (looking at the rear of the boat) and pull the rods out. Clean the rods and tubes.

Not an easy job given the motor is 400 pounds. Need to find a lift.

Any other suggestions?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Do you have any grease zerks on your steering tubes ???

imported_Z

Cadet

No grease zerks on the tubes. Can the steering get tight and the cables be bad? Do these cables get corroded internally enough to make the steering difficult? Or once they get out of the tubes, the steering wheel should free up and turn easily.

What type of grease or oil should i use inside the tubes?

Thanks again appreciate the responses so far.

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

a wire rope grease (my hand to god, the stuff exists...i'm in the lubricants business) would be a good bet. However, if you're in this dire of straits, ANY lube you can get in there will be a start...note START.

a new cable may save you a lot of grief, and a few really bad words.

crabbydad

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i've had the same problem in the past, but i only had a single rod. i had to unbolt the motor and move it slightly to the left while still resting on the transom. after i tapped out the steering rod, i used an expandable reamer in an extension to remove all the old hardened grease. i also installed a grease fitting with a wiper on the backend of the tilt tube.