Honda 225 Oil Leak

bosunscrew

Recruit
Took the boat out this morning, backed off the trailer fine and went on about the day. Went trolling for about 5 hours about 10 miles offshore, when I noticed that the engine would not go into reverse. Putting it in reverse just made it go forward. I decided to head back to the beach (absolutely no problems with the run in, ran 4800rpms all the way in). When I got back to the dock and pulled the boat out of the water oil began pouring from where the shift shaft enters the engine housing.

Does anybody have any ideas on what this could be?

Thanks,
Dustin

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda 225 Oil Leak

Ok, you have 2 shift shafts on this unit .One that operates and swivels from the remote control and one at the gearcase that interlocks.Neither is even remotely connected to anything that would cause an oil leak from the powerhead area.Interesting situation,look a little harder and give us a little more.

bosunscrew

Recruit

I can't really see any place that the oil is leaking from, there is no oil on the outside of the engine. I just know it's escaping through the hole where the shift shaft that runs from the lower unit to the shift arm. It only pours out if the engine is tilted up. It looks as if the shift shaft has dropped down some which would explain why it's not going into gear properly but I have no idea where this oil leak is coming from.

Somebody suggested it could be a powerhead gasket leak...any thoughts???

bosunscrew

Recruit

So apparently the upper shift arm gearing sits in an oil bath below the oil pan keeping it well lubricated. Apparently a couple of seals failed on mine causing the leak. $75 worth of parts and $750 worth of work :eek: