15hp early 80's evin. oil at prop

crosscountry

Recruit
Howdy, I need some advice. I have a early 80's 15 hp evinrude long shaft electric start that I bought 6 years ago I used it twice and it sat until tonight. I put stabil in the gas can five years ago and being a tight wad I started it, I hooked it to my water hose and it started on the second pull and seemed to run fine. After about 10 min. I shut it off and noticed a lot of grey looking oil inside the prop and under the motor on the ground. I wiped it up and ran it again and got more not alot but some. The lower unit did not seem to loose any oil ??? Thanks for any advice.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 15hp early 80's evin. oil at prop

Is the LU oil milky looking? If not, you may just have some unburned 2-stroke oil that is blowing through...very common!

Keep an eye on the LU oil by checking regularly...you'll want to replace the nylon washers on the drain/fill plugs each time however.

Since it's been sitting, you'll also want to replace the impeller..they get brittle with age!

Hard to imagine the gas is still good, but the first sign of rough running, get new fuel with fresh oil.

MAS

crosscountry

Recruit

Yes the oil is milky looking. I will get some new gas and I probably should change the impeller, are there seals that would allow the lower unit oil to to leak like that? and is it common? thank you

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

If you drained some of the LU and got milky oil...you've got a leak. You may just get lucky and need to replace the nylon washers on the drain & fill plugs. They should be replaced each time they are unscrewed and are a common place for water intrusion.

After replacing washers & LU oil and it's still milky after running on the water, you'll need to buy a reseal kit and reseal driveshaft, propshaft and shiftshaft.

Do this the same time you replace the impeller.

You can get the LU pressure/vacuum tested to see which seal is leaking and replace that one...but it's best to replace all at the same time.

MAS

freddyray21

Commander

If you drained some of the LU and got milky oil...you've got a leak. You may just get lucky and need to replace the nylon washers on the drain & fill plugs. They should be replaced each time they are unscrewed and are a common place for water intrusion.

After replacing washers & LU oil and it's still milky after running on the water, you'll need to buy a reseal kit and reseal driveshaft, propshaft and shiftshaft.

Do this the same time you replace the impeller.

You can get the LU pressure/vacuum tested to see which seal is leaking and replace that one...but it's best to replace all at the same time.

MAS

I guess I missed something as I did not see where he was getting milky oil from the lower unit. If the motor has sat that long the lu oil needs to be changed. If you drain it and it looks milky then there may be a problem, but I think what you have is just unburnt oil and gas mix and very common. You should see the mess an old motor I have that runs on 8:1 leaves.

Rick.

Captain

Just for clarity sake... Seeing oil ( usually brown,tan or gray color) in the center hole on your prop is totally common and OK. Typically what you see there is unburned oil that has come down the exhaust but hasn't exited the prop. It is not a problem and to be expected. You may well see it appear from the small drain hole of the leg that is there to make certain water can completely drain from the leg and again that is all right and no cause for concern.

If you drain the oil from the gear case and the oil that comes out looks milky that means you've got water intrusion into the gear case and that is not common or expected. If you find the gear case oil milky I would purchase new plug washers and refill it and check it again after a few runs. If it is milky again then I would pressure test the gear case to determine the location of the leak and change the appropriate seals. Chances are the new washers will be all that you need to stop the intrusion. I have an 82 15HP and it runs like a top. Very strong engine for it's size. Best of luck. Rick.

crosscountry

Recruit

Thanks Guys,
I think I will buy the reseal kit you mentioned MAS. I will put in a new impellor also and go with new gas and oil 50:1? Thanks for all the help!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i would change the oil install new seals on the drain and vent plug, and give it another try, before tearing into it. read all the of the TOP SECRET FILE. 1st post in this forum.