1984 Mariner 150hp (update)

joho5

Chief Petty Officer
I just got my first bass boat and this motor was on it. I took it out yesterday and it fired right up, idled fine, and I ran it and it ran at WOT perfectly.

Today, just the opposite. Backed it down, started it up and it would idle rough for a second or two and die. Did that over and over. I finally popped it into reverse when it started and backed it out pushing the throttle down quite a bit. Then it died. Started it back up and popped it into forward real fast. It would barely move at WOT and when I backed off it would die.

Its weird because thats after one day of running perfectly. The only thing I did in between was spray the boat off at the car wash last night.

I took the front cover off that covers the carbs and did notice there was gas on it. That sits out from the carbs an inch or two.

What does it sound like? I did notice a very small crack where the fuel line enters the fuel pump, but would that cause it to act that foolish. When I pump the primer bulb, it doesnt leak out of there.

Should the primer bulb get tight when I pump it or get to where I cant pump it at all, It keeps pumping gas into the carbs, never gets to where its tight and wont pump no more. Well at least I havent pumped it that much.

take mind the biggest motor I have worked on up to this one is a 25hp.

any ideas, suggestions, etc...are very welcome.

thanks

joho5

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1984 Mariner 150hp

Re: 1984 Mariner 150hp

bump, could it have been just flooded?

thanks

Matt

joho5

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1984 Mariner 150hp (update)

Ok, I did some eliminating today. Checked compression and it was right around 120 psi on all cylinders. Then I checked spark plugs...they all work with a tester. Checked all connections, most looked ok. One looked a tiny bit rusty like it had gotten wet a bit (on the power pack or switchbox...there is actually 2 of these stacked).

I found that I dont have any spark on cylinder 3 and it doesnt follow the coil, it stays on the cylinder.

I cleaned and rechecked all connections involving this cylinder and it didnt cure the problem.

Does this sound like a power pack? And is it correct that there should be 2 power packs? One for each side?

thanks