Timing question

sebas54

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I have a 4.3 v6 alpha i/o.

When removing and reinstalling the distributor is it absolutely necessary to have the engine at TDC? Can't I just time the engine after it is installed.

What is the point of having the engine at TDC when installing the distributor?

Thank you

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Re: Timing question

If #1 is @ TDC it would make it easier to get a "starting point" by lining up the rotor to #1 on the cap..............

sebas54

Petty Officer 1st Class

Line up the rotor to #1 to what. What do I line the cap up with?

Sorry for what might seem like a stupid question but it is not stupid to me.

I couldn't find TDC because the engine won't turn on till I get my fuel pump installed.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

The engine has to be at a "reference point".
The distributor has to be at a "reference point".
If you don't, you'll be asking questions like, "I reinstalled my distributor, and now the engine won't start, WHY?"
Ever wonder why cams are timed to the crank?
Ever look in a maintenance manual?

sebas54

Petty Officer 1st Class

"Ever wonder why cams are timed to the crank?
Ever look in a maintenance manual?"

Actually I do have and read my manual frequently but I don't understand how to time.

To be honest with you I don't even know what cams are. Patients please!!

Thanks for the info.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Besides needing the engine at TDC, you also need it at TDC on the compression stroke for cylinder number 1. Then you can line up your distributor rotor to the #1 plug wire. Every two revolutions of the engine = one revolution of the distributor.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Find a local tech college in your area.
One semester and $100 will turn you into a knowledgeable wrench.

Bondo

Staff member

Find a local tech college in your area.
One semester and $100 will turn you into a knowledgeable wrench.

Ayuh,.... Great Idea....

It's kinda Tough to Help out guys like yourself if you have No Idea what We're all talkin' about....
You've sorta gotta be atleast a Basic Mechanic to understand the Lingo,...
Along with knowing which parts do what, so some other parts can do what they need to be doing when they need to be doing it...;)

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

You can turn the crank with a big socket to set the #1 to tdc without the fuel pump in. Blow out around the #1 plug cavity with compressed air to get all the cr#p out that has accumulated there and remove the plug. Have someone put their thumb over the hole while you turn the crank with your wratchet and (I just used a compression tester by myself) when it reaches the top it should blow the dude or dudettes finger off (the hole) not a stubby. I imagine your timing marks will be close too. But why would you even want to time it until it is all assembled?

sebas54

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was just joking, I know what a camshaft is. I was being sarcastic. I think a college course is a very good idea, the problem is I am in college right now and $$$$ is very tight but I will definitely look into it. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

the problem is I am in college right now and $$$$ is very tight but I will definitely look into it.

Ayuh,... Then find a Motorhead straight off the farm to hang out with,+ try to Learn from him...

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Ayuh,... Then find a Motorhead straight off the farm to hang out with,+ try to Learn from him...

Reminds me of Louie Anderson
"When I was your age we didn't have schools, we had to find smart poeple and follow them around!"

Maclin

Admiral

All of this depends on why you want to remove the distributor. If it is just a remove and reinstall of the same distributor then it may not be necessary to get the engine at TDC first.

Here is why: If the engine does not turn while the distributor is out then it is not as big of a deal to have the engine itself at a reference point. If the position of the rotor is noted and the base of the distributor and the block is marked and you put it back in so all that lines up again then it will more than likely be at the same timing as before.

Now, if the engine turns or the reference points are lost then you have to get the engine at TDC on cylinder#1 on the compression stroke so you know where to begin to align the distributor.

sebas54

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great, thanks Maclin, that is exactly what I was thinking. I had to install a new manifold and all I did was remove the distributor and reinstall it the same way it was. I changed the distributor cap but that shouldn't matter, right? The engine never started.

Thanks again.