Motor Muffs

fortyfreak9

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So when using the motor muffs, what can happen to the water pump/lower unit, with all that water rushing in. Obviously your water pump wouldnt be taking in the amount of water or under that pressure in the lake. Can those muffs blow the seals? Thank you.

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Motor Muffs

Not if you water pressure is normal. The muffs will lift away and leak out the sides before the seals would blow unless they are already shot.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Only turn the water on so as to have a good flow out of your lower unit. Probably about 3/4 on the Faucet. Also don't Rev the engine too high.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

well when you're going 30-40mph the water is rushing in, it's fine just don't rev over 1500 rpms while on the muffs.

cbavier

Lieutenant

well when you're going 30-40mph the water is rushing in, it's fine just don't rev over 1500 rpms while on the muffs.

I don't believe this is true. The Impeller pumps the water through the Unit. Too much water pressure will blow the seals. My owners manual Mercruiser Alpha One says not too turn the faucet on all the way as damage can incur.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I have not seen a set of muffs that will hold anything near 20# of water pressure. Many outboards run upwards of that so no -- household water pressure will not damage anything unless some other means of holding the muffs on the engine is used to prevent them from popping loose. Besides wasting water, full water pressure makes running the motor a very wet process. As for Merc warning about high pressure, don't you think they are just covering their behinds? There is always someone who will devise a leakproof set of muffs and we all know someone who thinks if a little pressure is good, a bunch more must be better.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I don't believe you will get excessive pressure from a household supply. As said above any excess will leak out from the cups.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I believe the comment regarding turning the faucet too high pertains more to motors that have a direct water hose connection than it does to muffs.

cbavier

Lieutenant

As for Merc warning about high pressure, don't you think they are just covering their behinds? There is always someone who will devise a leakproof set of muffs and we all know someone who thinks if a little pressure is good, a bunch more must be better.

Yea your probably right. Like Tim the Tool Man Taylor - "More Power"

cribber

Lieutenant

I always warm my motor up on muffs before heading to the ramp and haven't had any issues. As long as you follow the manufacturer's direction you should be okay. I don't use the direct connection inside the engine compartment since it's a hassle hooking up the hose and my household water pressure at the pump is 45 -55 PSI and well above 30 PSI at the hose.

I just slap on the muffs and crank the faucet enough so water comes out the sides of the cups.

fortyfreak9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright, I have used the muffs in the past but always wondered that could happen. Sounds like everything is good just watch the RPM's.

saumon

Lieutenant

The seals that the water can reach are the bottom crankshaft seals if the driveshaft houshing fill up with water, the seals under the water pump base and the shift shft seal.

But, to blow a seal, you have to build enough pressure in the driveshaft housing, wich won't happen because it's not sealed...

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

None of those seals are affected by pressure from the water pump no matter how much pressure the pump creates.

saumon

Lieutenant

None of those seals are affected by pressure from the water pump no matter how much pressure the pump creates.

I know, but we're talking about the muffs, and they're affected by the pressure of the water entering the driveshaft housing that, BTW, is not even near to make them blow.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The water pressure from the hose thru a flushette does not affect those seals at all. No matter how high the hose pressure is.

saumon

Lieutenant

Sorry, but i don't understand! Where did the water that goes past theses seals when they're shot or worn came from if it's not from the "leg" (driveshaft housing)?

I've always tought that the water could enter the pump via the slot in the base but can also surrond it.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If those seals, not including the lower crank seal, are bad water will leak past them just because they're submerged. It has nothing to do with water pressure, no matter where the water pressure comes from.