NEWBIE: 1967 20 hp lower unit gears?

all2silver

Recruit
Hi everyone...
Does anyone know where I can find either new or used lower unit gears for a 1967 Johnson 20 hp? I've searched and read through a ton of posts and threads looking for something more specific but have had no luck. Anything like parts numbers, web sites, diagrams, etc. Probably going to have to buy a manual...I know. I was told that a set of "new" gears would cost around 400$? Is that about right?

freddyray21

Commander
Re: NEWBIE: 1967 20 hp lower unit gears?

more than likely you will be better off getting a parts motor or a used lower unit. try www.aomci.org and post in the webvertise section.

all2silver

Recruit

Thanks for the link LC. Very interesting site to say the least. I have two possible places in town that MAY have the parts I'm looking for. I'll be visiting them today or Saturday. I'm 3 years older than that motor and it's an antique? :rolleyes:

-C.B.

freddyray21

Commander

not by club standards. It has to be pre 1950 to be an antique, but we do deal in lots of older motors. There are new old stock parts out there, but they tend to be expensive. Your motor in good running condtion can be bought for a few hundred dollars. it does not make sense to me to put hundreds in a lower unit if you can get a good used one for much less.