interchangeability?

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class
been trying to find an answer without bothering people, but i'm frustrated. i have '89 bayliner capri. i have a merc 4.3 lx series motor i want to put in it. complete motor, exhaust, transom shield. i got the gimbal and outdrive for it as well, alpha 1 i believe (came off '88 bluewater) but the gimbal and outdrive are trashed, so not using them. my question. will the pre alpha merc outdrives work with this motor/exhaust setup and still bolt into the bayliner, or is it totally different? i ask because i think i can get a free late 70's boat with merc outdrive. i know i will need to check gearing, but i'm more concerned about bolting the transom/gimbal to the bayliner, then bolting motor to transom assy. outdrive will come later if need be. so, will the 70's or 80's mercs transom stuff work with the motor and the bayliner transom. i hope i explained everything right. thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: interchangeability?

Ayuh,... Short answer is,... You need to keep the parts to the same Vintage,...
There's some mixing,+ matching possible, but without knowing Exactly what you're talking about,...
I can't say..

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class

the motor is 88. the exhaust "y" is 88. the gimbal/transom unit i'm looking at is late 70's, maybe early 80's merc. i believe it is pre alpha unit. i guess, i want to know if the exhaust from 88 will bolt to the transom unit from late 70's or so pre alpha. if so, i plan on using outdrive that fits the gimbal. or maybe i need the exhaust for the older outdrive.

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class

this is the transom/gimbal that i want to use on 89 bayliner, with the 88 v6. copy and paste link to see.

http://us.mg2.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f19655%5fAMEMDUwAAWXTSebNugtfTitnzv0&pid=3&fid=Inbox&inline=1[/IMG]

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class

the transom unit seems to look like a "470" series, i think.