Help with my 46 Johnson TD 15...

Hey guys, my buddy and I recently landed an old Johnson TD 15 for $20! It seems to be in great shape, compression is good, all the parts are there... We cleaned everything from top to bottom in the motor and have finally gotten it back together with new gaskets and all...

I have spark on one wire after sanding the points and setting them. Just to be sure... the gap should be .020 at it's FARTHEST point? Also, How can I go about testing all the individual parts in the ignition? I know the coils and stuff can go bad. Any other advise would be splendid... also I'm gonna need parts I'm sure so if anyone has spares... let us know!! I have already learned a ton about this thing just from reading prior posts on this board, so Thanks to everyone!

Mike

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help with my 46 Johnson TD 15...

Those coils are almost bulletproof. However, they are over 60 years old (like me) and eventually one can go kaflooey.

If you haven't already, take the points apart and degrease, clean and polish each contact individually. That will fix 90% of those motors. Do the points one set at a time so you have a sample of how they go tegether, and don't lose any of the tiny insulators.

Yes, rotate the shaft so that the points are at their widest opening and then adjust them to .020". Rotate the shaft and do the other set.

If you have to replace the spark plug wires, make sure you know how to solder. This is no place to learn.

Re: Help with my 46 Johnson TD 15...

Great advise, thanks! I did already sand and clean the points, but I think I had them gapped wrong. They are both sparkin like mad now! My left hand will never be the same...

Now the REAL problem... the carb. I do not have the manual (???) and I can't figure out how the timing and throttle control work... I mean, when the timing is advanced, how does the throttle open up? I can see a tiny brass rod that adjusts the throttle, but no where to attatch it to the magneto housing...Maybe someone has a pic of these areas...? Also, a pic of the carb parts all together would be fantastic...
Thanks again guys!

Mike