Newport Harbor Fishing

ups420

Recruit
I have a question about fishing out of Newport..

Do you think a 1962 Glasspar would be alright out past the break water with 80hp Evinrude? (looking for travel about 5-10 miles or less)

While fishing the Harbor the water wasn't so bad to the buoy, but got a little hesitant about going out further. Yet seeing smaller skiff boats fly right past me made me think that I can also go out past. Just wanted a few ideas and safety ideas I could get from a more experienced boaters..

I'm also willing to hook up with some other anglers within my area.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Newport Harbor Fishing

Welcome Aboard Ups!

Dont let the Florida location fool ya,
I'm a SoCal transplant...

In a nutshell no way would I personally go even a 1/2 mile outside NB harbor..
What were conditions when the other skiffs went out? Also I bet they may have been deeper V center consoles?

I am not seeing a lot of freeboard on that Glastron..
I'd be happy catching the spotted bay bass inside the safety of NB harbor..

Theres also a few nice halibuts hanging around the bait barge!

Be safe out there

ups420

Recruit

thanks alot yea the conditions we fair with about a 1-3ft wind swell but not too bad out towards the buoy but this was about 7am light cloud cover with min wind

also i have talked to local anglers about fishing Long Beach harbor and 7 out of 10 (after viewing my boat) said that as long as i dont go past the federal break water i should be fine sheltered from that break they also said that if i want i could also fish next the the oil rigs. hence they all mention that weather is key even covered by the break.

serrano4657

Cadet

Hello. I go out in my 20' four winns closed bow out in Newport Harbor. Past the jetty is another story. Going out 5-10 miles you are taking your life in your hands. I would not go out more then a mile or two if its a nice calm day.
Remember the prevailing change in the early afternoon, then it can be pretty scary out there in a small boat. Be safe.