no reverse after puting in new inpeller

rawrdnk

Cadet
the seril # 195501 took it to shop had impeller for water pump put in now i have no reverse. the shop i took it to is no loger open becase of hurricane. if some one could hep me it would be greatly appriciated. by the way it"s a 7.5 mercury. and what year is it? thank you

Starppy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: no reverse after puting in new inpeller

They didn't align the shift shaft properly. You have to pull the LU, figure out what gear it is in and then align the shifter accordingly. Then carefully put the LU back on making sure you keep the two aligned right as well as making sure you have the water tube and drive shaft properly aligned..

rawrdnk

Cadet

sound kinda hairy is it a tough job? and what is the lu?

doyle007

Cadet

LU: Lower Unit.

Seeing as it's a 7.5hp, I'm assuming it is tiller driven. Secure your prop to the shaft, and then give it a spin. Does it spin only in one direction, or freely in both? If freely in both, then it sounds like it's in neutral. If it spins in only one direction, then is it spinning forward or reverse? You should be able to tell by looking at the front edge of the prop (ie...the bow side of it).

Once you figure out which gear the lower unit (LU) is in, then make sure that your gear on the tiller is in the same, and attach the two. This should work. If you are still having trouble, then you should be able to turn the little splined tube that adjusts your gearing on the LU for forward or reverse (on my motor, it is just behind the main bolt at the front end of my lower unit. You can use pliers to move it, which would change the gear...check by turning the prop).

Once you are in the same gear for your LU and tiller, put them back together. You should then have forward, neutral, and reverse.

Good luck.

rawrdnk

Cadet

it turns to the right looking frome the back when its in rorward but spens freely in nuetral & reverse. thank u!