2 stroke @ 60 psi upper and 150 psi lower

jayard78

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently did a compression check after a month w/o one and I found that a cylinder that was at 160 psi was now at 60 psi and the other one dropped from 160 psi to 150psi. This is an old 1980 40hp motor and I am wondering if I do a decarb if this may fix the compression a little? I wanted to try simple stuff before going ahead with a rebuild. Anyone ever have a success stories about a similar situation?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2 stroke @ 60 psi upper and 150 psi lower

never hurts to try it. could be a cheap fix. but with 100 psi drop, i doubt it will work. time to pull the head, and see if you have a blown head gasket or worse.

jayard78

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What do you mean by pull the head? Where is the head gasket located on an outboard? I have a shop manual but it just shows the complete disassembly of the powerhead and I am unsure if I can replace the gasket w/o removing the powerhead from the unit.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Use the BRP parts catalog for your specific model to locate and name the parts of your engine. The spark plugs are in the cylinder head. The cylinder head gasket is between the cylinder head and the crankcase or engine block.
http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=e

You have too much lost compression for a complete de-carbon treatment, probably a blown cylinder head gasket.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Or worse. You will know when you get the head off.