Pulled tendons in fingers!

LubeDude

Admiral
I pulled on something working on the car Saturday and felt a pain go up through my wrist, hurt bad, but not excruciating. Yesterday I had trouble with my hand going to sleep, today my hand feels like a club and I cant wake it up. Arm up, arm down, Ice, nothing works. Curculation seems fine as the color returns when I press on my fingers. I think the Carpel tunnel is inflamed and restricting the nerve. Any Ideas as to what I can do besides taking Ibuprofin???

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Pulled tendons in fingers!

Only thing I do when this happens is wrap it or go to Wal Mart and get one of the braces they have to keep it stabilized for a few days.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

ouch! Sounds like carpel tunnel...a pinched nerve... maybe you should check with a Doctor.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

To get the circulation going, try heat for 15 minuets then ice for 15 minuets. Repeat several times. This helps inflamation by getting the blood vessels moving. Got this idea from a Navy doc. Seems to help me with mine. Good Luck LD. I know it is hard to work with a bum hand.

ndemge

Commander

Take a hammer,<br /><br />hit your foot.<br /><br />then you won't care about he hand.

oddjob

Commander

Your main nerve going thru the carpal tunnel is extremely inflamed. Keep your wrist straight and stop trying to use it until you find a a decent brace. Then baby it for awhile until all symtoms subside. Preferably one (with out metal support :eek: ). The alluminum plate type from the drug store are crap and they hurt more than help. The ones I like I get from a Saftey catalog and the stiff support is vinal (sp). <br /><br />The best way to adjust the brace to fit correctly is to touch the tip of your pinky to the tip of your thumb. Then snug all the velcro straps while holding your two fingers together. This will help enhance the diameter of your carpal tunnel band and help relieve some of the pressure of your media nerve.<br /><br />And whatever you did to receive the injury....you need to find another way (keeping your wrist completely straight) to do it if you can. I had the surgury when I was 26. I'm pretty familiar with it. For most folks the symtoms go away if they give it a rest.....

Skinnywater

Commander

LD,<br /> I think we're close to the same age, I'm 50. And we have similars occupational exposure. This past year has been a frustrating one regarding the ligaments and tendons. About 6 months ago my hands, elbows and knees were very painful daily.<br />Since we're both active on and off the job being down for long isn't the prefered option. <br />By all means have the doc look it over.<br /><br />I've tried a lot short of the knife and long-term perscriptions. <br />Ice, heat, physical therapy, OTC drugs they all help a little in their own way about 40%. I rely on that 40% and am doing them daily.<br />However, sometimes I just need a quick, effective, and low cost 20% boost in pain and inflamation control. I roll on some DMSO (research dimethyl sulfoxide)on perfectly clean skin over the specific area, once a day for 3 days. By that time I'm ready for more abuse.................<br />Not trying to doctor ya, just telling ya what I do......sometimes... ;)