Refilling Alpha I Gen II w/ Remote Resevoir

maxumized

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I know the manual specifies filling from the bottom up with a pump; however, I'm curious as to how the remote resevoir works.

I'm assuming the check ball in the drive keeps oil from flowing back into the resevoir. However, I would have also assumed adding oil to an empty resevoir with an empty drive would also begin filling the drive.

Can anyone explain how this works?

havasuboatman

Ensign
Re: Refilling Alpha I Gen II w/ Remote Resevoir

The check ball only keeps oil from leaking out when the drive is removed from the boat. Fill from the bottom of the drive until oil starts leaking from the top plug, install that plug, then slowly pump your hand pump 5 or 6 more times and wait. The oil will start to fill the resivoir. When it stops rising put the blttom pug in and top off the res. from above.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

The check ball only keeps oil from leaking out when the drive is removed from the boat. Fill from the bottom of the drive until oil starts leaking from the top plug, install that plug, then slowly pump your hand pump 5 or 6 more times and wait. The oil will start to fill the resivoir. When it stops rising put the blttom pug in and top off the res. from above.

Wow, this is contrary to the service manual saying to top it off from the reservoir. Interesting though..

See any problems with this anyone?

havasuboatman

Ensign

I wasn't clear then. You fill the drive from the bottom of the drive. Once you have filled it until there is oil showing in the resivoir bottle, then you can top off the resivoir bottle (to the fill line) from the resivoir cap.
The reason you cant fill the drive from the resivoir is there is no way for the air to escape.
If you already have oil in your resivoir, and are filling your drive because you drained it, just fill the drive until oil comes out the top (vent) plug. Then, after you have driven the boat for a while, check your resivoir. If its gone down, refill it through the cap.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

I wasn't clear then. You fill the drive from the bottom of the drive. Once you have filled it until there is oil showing in the resivoir bottle, then you can top off the resivoir bottle (to the fill line) from the resivoir cap.
The reason you cant fill the drive from the resivoir is there is no way for the air to escape.
If you already have oil in your resivoir, and are filling your drive because you drained it, just fill the drive until oil comes out the top (vent) plug. Then, after you have driven the boat for a while, check your resivoir. If its gone down, refill it through the cap.

Yep Just like that, remember there will be some air trapped in the line from the resivoir to the drive. You'll have to top it off a few times till its really full, like an oz here and there. I over filled mine anout 1/4 inch, after 2 outings I had to add another 2 oz or so. It hasn't gone down anymore since.