2008 2520 Fastrac cavitation

robrike

Recruit
Hey all,
Have a 2008 Regal 2520 Fastrac with the 5.7liter volvo engine and the duoprop outdrive. All my other boats have been mercruisers. I have noticed on this one in fast hard turns there is a tendancy for the prop to cavitate (rpms go up a bit and some wicked vibration till I back off or straighten the wheel). This is with the drive full down and I am generally accelerating coming out of the last half of the turn to keep speed up. Is this common on duoprops or if not can someone suggest where to look for a problem? The props are stainless but not sure of pitch.

Just wondering if others with duoprop have similar issue.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

CaptainKev

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2008 2520 Fastrac cavitation

I have a Regal 2008 2400 Fastrac with the same engine/drive. Do you know if the cavitation happens when turning hard in both port & starboard? I've only experienced something similar once. I rearranged the passengers and the problem went away. You may want to check to make sure that the drive is all the way down regardless of the trim gauge indication. One other thing........the trim rocker switch on mine is located on the inboard side of the top of the throttle handle. IMO, the switch is way too soft and the location makes it very easy to accidentally actuate during rocky rides. Been there, done that...:rolleyes:

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2008 2520 Fastrac cavitation

It's not really cavitation you are experiencing, it's ventilation. It sounds like you are turning too hard or there's something on the hull ahead of the props, that's disturbing the water before it gets to the props.