Honda: same engine, different HP?

wheezeburnt

Recruit
Hi. Just found this forum. Very impressive!!

I'm replacing a 9.9 Suzuki smoker and am considering the Honda 8 and 9.9 motors. I note that they are same displacement, same weight, same everything except hp and max RPM. Price difference of about $200.
Any advice on how to decide in these circumstances?
thanks
Brent

Nick on the Bad Habit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Honda: same engine, different HP?

I have the 8HP model, that I use as a kicker. I am limited to the stock prop on this engine. The 9.9 would be working less to get the same speed that the 8HP would give you. Less stress means more longevity. If I had it to do over I would have gone with the 9.9HP.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

I have the 8HP model, that I use as a kicker. I am limited to the stock prop on this engine. The 9.9 would be working less to get the same speed that the 8HP would give you. Less stress means more longevity. If I had it to do over I would have gone with the 9.9HP.

actually in this case where both engines built on the same platform and gear ratio they work equally as hard up to the 8hp mark, then the 9.9 works harder to get you that extra 2-3mph. Is this engine going to be a Kicker or main engine on a small boat? As a kicker I would save the 200$ and get the 8hp, on a john boat type of setup I would get the 9.9 and it might make the difference of you getting on plane or not with 2 people in the boat which could lead to 4-5mph difference between the 2 engines. My 12' john with a 6hp will plane out if I toss the gas tank and tackle box up front with just me in it and go ~17mph, with 2 guys the speed drops to 12mph.

wheezeburnt

Recruit

Nick/Rancherlee:
It will be used on an old Espadon aluminum boat about 13 feet long. Its principally a fishing boat. I almost always have two people in the boat (including me) and occasionally three. The hull planed nicely with the old 9.9 on it, with three people properly placed, at 3/4 throttle. I do make some five to ten mile runs to fishing spots on lakes and large rivers, so some cruising speed would be helpful, but what I'm really looking for is something that will troll more smoothly and quietly than the old Suzuki, plus of course, better mileage can't hurt.

Thanks for the input, guys. Since the difference is only $200, and there's no weight difference, I'm really leaning toward the 10 for that extra push at higher speeds.
Very helpful!
brent

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

go for the 9.9. it's always nicer to slow down if you have too much hp than to wish you had more if you don't have enough. and it is much cheaper to buy the 9.9 now than to think about converting a 8hp to a 9.9hp later.
you are going to love how either troll. i have a 30hp honda on a 16ft lund rebel and it actually will troll too slow.