need to buy a 4.3 long block,who & why?

fabricatorjohn

Recruit
my 4.3 has cracked all throughout the lifter valley,not dwelling on why or how ,but summer is coming and i need a replacement,i need to buy a longblock,from someone reputable with a warrenty on parts & workmanship im in va. so shipping could be an issue east coast to mississippi is about it, please share any good/bad experiences any knowlage shared will be greatly appreciated......thank you ........john 2670 explorer "IPANEMA"

DivrDown

Cadet
Re: need to buy a 4.3 long block,who & why?

I used Rapido MArine out of Florida for a 1996 4.3 long block replacement $1400. Shipping was only $150 anywhere (I am in Norhtern WV). My engine arrived about 5 days after ordering it from them in February. They have a 1 year warranty that covers their engine parts for full replacement if its their fault. I just installed my engine Saturday and it runs and sounds great. Putting it in the water for a run Friday if it stays warm enough out.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

And here comes the "I bought a long block from XYZ company, because it was cheap and has a great warranty and cheap shipping.
Basically, every cheap (aka inexpensive) rebuilder takes a V8 block and punches it out to max overbore of .060. No measureing to see if a .o10 or .030 will work, just punch and run. It's cheaper that way.
However, Mercruiser, Volvo and OMC when the exited did not recomment overboring to anything over .030.
Have seen the overheat melt away telltales on many engines. If they are gone, so is the warranty. Doesn't matter if the pistons ar too tight and causes the overheat. The telltale melted. Warrenty VOID.
To produce a used long lock for $1500 or less takes a lot of slam bang, little effort, no measuring, rebuilding.
Sorry, that is called a "we think since it's boat and you won't use it much, it should last at least the warranty period, but if it doesn't we will say you overheated it."
Been there, done that. Just no one here admits it happened to them. But it does.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Rapido. I used him for a 97 4.3 Vortec and had no problems. You are going to see his name on this thread all over..

fabricatorjohn

Recruit

mark,my engine is that style vortec hyd roller cam ,roller rockers,6 bolt timing cover,how did your experience go with rapido ,mark? i believe theirs is like 1450+150 ship makes 1600, did everything go well? what were your hidden costs? was any oil pan/pump/pickup swapping nessecary? just going at this as carefully as possible ,dont wanna do this twice,
john 2670 explorer "IPANEMA"

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

mark,my engine is that style vortec hyd roller cam ,roller rockers,6 bolt timing cover,how did your experience go with rapido ,mark? i believe theirs is like 1450+150 ship makes 1600, did everything go well? what were your hidden costs? was any oil pan/pump/pickup swapping nessecary? just going at this as carefully as possible ,dont wanna do this twice,

Everything went perfect.. all was assembled and clean and great. Raul is a great guy to work with as far as communication goes. Just give him a call and he will answer any questions..

fabricatorjohn

Recruit

thank you for your rapid answer,ill give em a call and see how things go,,,

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I did a rapido engine aout a year and a half ago and was pleased with the result.

For a little extra (I want to say a couple hundred and that the for the rapido longblock including an electric cuel pump was about $2k), I got the older style non-balance-shaft block (the balance shaft was added in early 90's and robs some horsepower) with a marine roller cam, flat top pistons and later model vortec heads for static compression of around 160 psi. Put an aluminum intake and edelbrock 6oo cfm marine carb on it, add new exhaust manifolds and risers (would hate to spend the time and money on a new engine then ruin it finding out that the exhaust manifolds were cracked as well...) and you have a very strong running 4.3 liter v-6. Do a little port matching and some careful tuning and wind up with what I would guess is an honest 225+ horsepower v-6 on a very reasonable budget. Somewhere around $4500 or so total if I'm honest about it once all was said and done.

Just my experience...

There's also some truth to don's words above. The 383 (388, 40 over) that's in my boat now was carefully built by one of the best machine shops I've ever done business with (and that specializes in performance marine engine builds). While the "budget-minded" long block from rapido was well put together and a great value, the new mill was built using a whole different set of standards and tolerances and was built to make dependable power, run hard and stay together while running hard by folks who do just that for a living. holes aligned and reference bored, everything trued up and blueprinted, carefully balanced rotating assembly, forged internals, aftermarket heads, etc... for example, machine work was good enough that each and every piston tdc measured from deck was exactly the same using a dial indicator... I feel like it was a good value as well, even though i may have a little more than $2k in the long block...

Russ Preves

Seaman

So, Don, what's the best route to replace an engine.....my 1979 350 volvo is tired...and over 700 hours....if not Rapido...who do you suggest??

Russ Preves

Seaman

so, what do you suggest as the best repower opton?

Thanks for your time!!

Russ