Freebacking drums?

lombard

Seaman
OK, so the previous owner of my boat took immaculate care of the boat, but did little to nothing with the trailer. Because of that the brakes are non-functional.

I'm going to tear in to it within the next few weeks. I'm guessing I'm going to have to refurb the master cylinder and shock absorber. Since it's used in salt water, I'd bet money the drum brakes are completely trashed and in need of replacement. So when I dig in to it, I need to decide if free backing drums will be good enough or if I should buy the solenoid to deactivate the brakes completely when in reverse.

Any suggestions or comments regarding free backing brakes vs. solenoid, brand of brakes, etc? The coupler is an Atwood (and I hate it, but don't want the expense of a complete replacement).

The hubs seem fine and have been well lubed.

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Freebacking drums?

The solenoid is used on disk brakes because the grab with very little pressure.

If you are replacing everything, have you considered going electric? They never apply until you touch the pedal.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I would suggest that you dump the drum brakes and replace with disc. The disc stop much better and are a lot less maintenance.

Coupler wise, just replace it. By the time you buy the replacement parts you could have bought new.

lombard

Seaman

Ok, now we're really getting in to it. I'd definitely prefer disc brakes, what with the salt water here. Disc brakes require a new coupler that I really didn't want to pay for. But faced with buying new drum brake assemblies, plus new drums (more than likely), and the costs of rebuilding the master cylinder...

Also on my to do list is to modify my tongue to be swing away. Maybe I should just do it all in one shot.

Recommendations for components?

mrmushroomman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just replaced my Atwood master cylinder. I paid $62.00 for a brand new master cylinder. I thought it would have been more than that but i guess i got lucky. The place i bought the master cylinder also had complete drum assembly's for $100.00 a piece which includes everything but a new hub. So for about $262.00 everything would be new. Now price what two calipers and new tongue costs and decide which would be better for you. I have heard good and bad thing's about electric brakes.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

S-cad Kodiak discs will set you back $117 a side. A new Tiedown disc coupler will run you $100.

If you don't want to buy a new coupler just remove residual valve from the existing coupler and be done with it.

http://www.championtrailers.com/remove_residual_valve.htm

Anyway you look at it a disc system is going to be cheaper in the long run than replacing drum assemblies every 2-3 years becouse of the salt damage.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The solenoid is used on disk brakes because the grab with very little pressure.

If you are replacing everything, have you considered going electric? They never apply until you touch the pedal.

Electric brakes + salt water= bad idea.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Electric brakes + salt water= bad idea.

Not so much.

Go check out Fulton's website and look at thier "Sharkskin" coating. It holds up very well in a salt water environment.

I also know several guys running "RV" brakes (including myself when I get the motivation to do the install) and dunking in salt water, but the braking performance and availability of parts in rural areas was/is the primary influence for the decision.

Just add a flush kit, which you should do for any brake setup, and keep up with the maintenance.

lombard

Seaman

S-cad Kodiak discs will set you back $117 a side. A new Tiedown disc coupler will run you $100.

If you don't want to buy a new coupler just remove residual valve from the existing coupler and be done with it.

http://www.championtrailers.com/remove_residual_valve.htm

Anyway you look at it a disc system is going to be cheaper in the long run than replacing drum assemblies every 2-3 years becouse of the salt damage.

Nice. Didn't realize you could so easily switch between discs and drums with the same master cylinder. I still don't like the Atwood coupler, but it beats buying a whole new coupler. Just a solenoid and two disc brakes...